Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: not enough room  (Read 2595 times)

Offline TNTBEES

• New Bee
not enough room
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:07:07 am »
I'm a first year beek that is having great success( so far). I have two KTB hives that i installed 4# pkgs in last march. I also have two warre hives that i installed two nuc's into in May. I was able to catch a large swarm from Craiglist in Early June. My KTB hives are 5' so i installed the swarm in the opposite end of my pkg side with a divider. I have 40 bars total and the pkg side has filled 20 bars and the swarm side has filled 17 bars. I'm out of room. Should i quickly build another hive to transfer the swarm and it's bars into or should i store some of the honey bars to refeed this winter? I'm in Montana and don't have a good feel for what I will need to feed this winter so don't want to take any chances. Build or store?

Offline TNTBEES

• New Bee
Re: not enough room
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:52:47 am »
Can i transfer some of the honey bars to the other KTB hive for storage. Shake off the bees in their own hive and store the bars in the other hive until needed. Will the other hive finish capping if necessary?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: not enough room
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:32:11 pm »
Have you been feeding the bees?   If not, rob some of the honey for yourself.   :-D   

Yes you can move bars from one hive to another.   

anything