Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winter pack down  (Read 7615 times)

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
Re: Winter pack down
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 06:45:19 pm »
HI HCK, did a quick inspection when packing down the hives, looked good that I noticed, just over 2 weeks later did the relocation and could see the chalk brood out front. Inspected on the weekend, 1 week after moving, all the hives looked to be doing well with a large number of eggs in the frames. The warmer climate has kicked them along. The material used on the mats was a nylon sheets about 1mm thick, but no centre hole. Could not say how old the chalk brood was that was tossed out, Trentham weather, finally got rain, and plenty of fog, it had all been soaking in water. 

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 08:53:10 pm »
Have been seeing some chalkbrood in the taller hive we have too, so might be another sign they can't keep warm enough. Will pack them down on Monday then

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 07:22:36 am »
Beenic, I thought I'd awaken this thread from last year. Similar to your thread.
There is a few things I have changed, I think I'm getting better at this aspect of the job.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 11:47:39 pm »
This time last year I was watching everything slow down at one site and still going at another. This year it's the other way round. A few hives that I packed down were going to run out of room.  I am finding this a very slow learning process.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 06:20:10 am »
Every year is different.

Offline Beenic

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 07:40:31 am »
Thanks Andersonhoney. Certainly some light reading there. 😉

anything