Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: You got to hear about this call.  (Read 3694 times)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
You got to hear about this call.
« on: June 10, 2012, 11:19:00 pm »
I just got a call this evening around 7pm. this lady called and said that they had bees in the house. that there was a pencil size hole in the wall that the bees were coming out of and that when they put some tape over the hole that a fist size whole opened up and that the started to come out more. and that they needed someone to come out NOW to get the bees.I said where were you located.

Here is the Kicker. they where located over 75 miles away on the other side of Atlanta and that they wanted it done for free! not even gas money. I said that I could not do this for several reasons.

1. The cost in gas would be about 50.00 and it would take 2 hours to get there.
2. the cost of materials to put the bees in would be about 75.00.
3. The time it would take to remove the bees would be about 3-4 hours.
4. I don't repair walls or clean carpets after removal.
5. I subsidise my income working and removing bees.
6. I don't work bees at night.

They said that they heard that bees were endangered and that people would remove them for free to just get the bees.I said that there probably were some people out there that would do that but that I did not know of anyone. I said that they should google the web and see.I said they needed to contact a person nearer to them to get the bees.

John 

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Re: You got to hear about this call.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:33 pm »
John, five bucks says it's aerial yellow jackets or european hornets. I've never seen honeybees chew through sheetrock but I get that exact same call several times each year and it is always yellow jackets (95% of the time)  or hornets. My wasps vacis just the ticket for them.
Give her my number, but I ain't free either. I also have a good friend even closer to her that I taught to do both bees and wasps.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:04:33 am »
I've seen them chew through sheetrock on several occasions. They have always been very mature colonies or ones that have been sprayed or both.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:09:08 am »
A few pics sent in email will answer several questions really quick. Yes they will chew through sheet rock, have seen it, but as JP said they will be old colonies. Yellow jackets will carry out fiberglass insulation from inside of a wall also, have not seen honey bees do that though.

I'm betting yellow jackets!
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:12:02 am »
the back side of sheet rock is rough, bee's during their cleaning will remove sheet-rock, they will keep removing until there is a hole, one I removed was in a home that was 2 years old, they had to replace a full sheet of sheet-rock, bee's had opened a 1" hole but the sheet-rock around the hole was nothing but the paper.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 04:19:53 pm »
I just got a call this evening around 7pm. this lady called and said that they had bees in the house. that there was a pencil size hole in the wall that the bees were coming out of and that when they put some tape over the hole that a fist size whole opened up and that the started to come out more. and that they needed someone to come out NOW to get the bees.I said where were you located.

Here is the Kicker. they where located over 75 miles away on the other side of Atlanta and that they wanted it done for free! not even gas money. I said that I could not do this for several reasons.

1. The cost in gas would be about 50.00 and it would take 2 hours to get there.
2. the cost of materials to put the bees in would be about 75.00.
3. The time it would take to remove the bees would be about 3-4 hours.
4. I don't repair walls or clean carpets after removal.
5. I subsidise my income working and removing bees.
6. I don't work bees at night.

They said that they heard that bees were endangered and that people would remove them for free to just get the bees.I said that there probably were some people out there that would do that but that I did not know of anyone. I said that they should google the web and see.I said they needed to contact a person nearer to them to get the bees.

John 

You can buy a lot of bees. For 8 - 10 hr of work / divining, $50 in gas and $75 in materials 

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline DLMKA

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 07:02:21 am »
We had a similar request posted on our club's Facebook page.  The woman already had a club member out and he quoted $300 for removal.  She said she couldn't afford it citing medical expenses for a rare immune system disease.  Since she couldn't get one of us to do it free she decided she was just going to spray the entrance then removed the paneling (they were in floor joists between basement and 1st floor) on the basement ceiling and open up a couple of insect bombs in the basement.  I figured she was lying about the medical stuff or crazy if she was going to poison her entire basement to save a few bucks.

anything