Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feral Bee Capture need ADVICE  (Read 4300 times)

Offline Stlnifr

• House Bee
Feral Bee Capture need ADVICE
« on: September 27, 2010, 03:08:30 pm »
My question when it comes time to set out a swarm trap what would put the odds in my favor to be successful. How close to set trap, what height or any other info that may be useful.

Important Information:

I know where a feral hive is, it has been there more than five years it looks like I can get permission to set out a swarm trap. The entrance to the hive in the bee tree is about 3 feet above ground level and facing south. I have made a KTBH TRAP “11 bars” 1 1/8 hole at the bottom with a nail vertical to keep out birds I plan to use Lemon Grass Oil as bait. I have no access to comb or wax, just the oil.

I have read where 8 to 15 feet would be ideal but the height these bees have been using is 3 feet, does this matter?

My plans are to set a post in the ground with a platform on it to set trap on it level with entrance facing south like the bee tree. Distance from the hive to the trap is my main concern.

I have built a 39 inch long KTBH and made the trap top bars interchangeable to easy the move from trap to hive.

Any suggestions will be welcome.
Jesus Christ--The reason for the season!

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Feral Bee Capture need ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 03:33:32 pm »
The best way to improve your odds is to place additional traps.    I have seen swarms move as little as 25 feet to a hollow tree,  and the height doesn't seem to be too critical in my experience.   It all depends on what other options a swarm has and if they are "better" than your swarm trap.  I would also try to locate some comb from another beekeeper.  It will also improve your chances.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Stlnifr

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:47:33 pm »
The best way to improve your odds is to place additional traps.

I have been giving permission to set two swarm traps where the wild bee tree is. It is private property and the tree is close to the road so this spring I am going about 1000 feet in the woods and set the first trap then move over about 1000 feet and set the other trap that way both traps will be about 1000 feet from the bee tree. I am going in that distance to keep any one from spotting them hopefully they want venture that deep. I will paint them gray bark color like the trees.

Question do you think 1000 feet is to far away from the bee tree? Should I back off to about 500 feet? I need to keep my traps out of any ones sight especially children so no one will get curious and start investigating and get stung.
Jesus Christ--The reason for the season!

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 07:48:45 pm »

Question do you think 1000 feet is to far away from the bee tree?

Go about 900 to 1200 feet and about height is 10 to 20 feet hope this will you

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 05:46:43 pm »
just throw a rope over a limb and tie to yo box and pull it up. always let my entrance be a little down   when and if bees arive just let them down  and take them home and hurrry back with the box; have caught as many as 6 swarms in the same box
to bee or not to bee

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:58:26 pm »
I caught a feral earlier this year with a 5 frame nuc with only foundation and lemongrass oil. My box was only as high as I could reach from the ground and about 50 feet from the main hive.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:43:18 am »
Multiple traps, at least two. I would put one at 150', next at 300' another around 600'. I think 1000' is a little too far if you're trying to catch swarms from this tree but perhaps you might get lucky.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com