Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What happens...  (Read 1168 times)

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
What happens...
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:32:07 pm »
... to the feed that is put into the hives during winter feedings?  Do the bees simply eat it or do they take it and put it in the cells for future food? 

The reason I ask is that I have put honey sugar mix into the hives and it is disappearing very quickly which initially made me think that the bees were hogging it down then it occurred to me that they could be taking it and squirreling it away.  If they are indeed putting it away it makes me curious how much to feed them...

If it sounds like I'm confused, I am.... help please.

David

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: What happens...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:04:59 pm »
They need food, if they are breaking cluster to get it, and it is not frozen, I would not care about the why just that they are getting fed. When it is warm enough to inspect the colony you can answer the why by the amount of stores they have left and where they clustered. Then adjust your fall preparations accordingly if needed. If my bees I would keep up the feeding you have been diong.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:34:12 pm »
Thanks for the advice - I am just trying to figure out when to slow down this feeding  -  as the bees are taking the honey / sugar mix at an alarming pace and before long I'm going to run out of honey / sugar mix.  When do I know that they are going to be ok for a while?  The hives are relatively heavy therefore it could be that they are taking the honey / sugar mix since it is very easily accessible.  A lot of bees are clustered above the top deep - so when I fed the honey / sugar patty I have laid it on top of the frames next to the cluster.  Within the next day or two the entire thing is gone....  I have done this three times now therefore I'm curious where this is going - in their stomachs or in the cells.   

Something just occurred to me - perhaps it's so warm in there that the patty could be dripping down between the frames... hell - at this point im so darn confused and so badly want these critters to make it another 6 weeks that I could be worrying too much. 

I think I'm just gonna let them do their own thing for the next two weeks then check to see what the status is at that point....

David

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 03:02:00 pm »
Is your mix in a patty form?? if so put a plate under it so it will not drip on them Other wise put it in a ziplock bag with a 2" cut in the side that is up. Good luck  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.