Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Acidic Soil and ShB  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
Acidic Soil and ShB
« on: September 19, 2012, 06:54:37 pm »
I find that just 15 miles from my yard people seem to have no problem with SHB. In that you go from Delta Gumbo mud to sandy red clay with a acidity of about 6 to 5. My dirty is 7 to 8. Anyone know if the acidity effects there ability to pupate? Only thing I can come up with why I can lose over half my hives and the hills people say I see maybe one or two.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Acidic Soil and ShB
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:01:01 pm »
Mike,
I have never tested the soil in town where I used to have problems but my farm has sandy soil that is naturally at about a 6 and I very seldom see SHB's.
Are your bees in heavy shade?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:34:18 am »
Well down here the ph is usually around 5.5 if you haven't limed resently, and we have plenty of SHB's.  There are a few in most of my hives and they are on a concrete slab.  And I spray around the edge, so don't mow, with diesel.  but they still come from some where.

Joe

Offline jack07smith1988

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 03:13:54 pm »
The small hive beetle, Aethina tumida Murray, is native to sub-Saharan Africa where it is an occasional pest in colonies of African subspecies of the western honey bee (Hymenoptera: Apidae, Apis mellifera Linnaeus). However, the beetle has been found outside of its native range where it can cause considerable damage to colonies of European subspecies of honey bees. Because of its rapid spread, the small hive beetle is studied increasingly, both for its economic importance and biological significance.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:03:20 pm »
Well down here the ph is usually around 5.5 if you haven't limed resently, and we have plenty of SHB's.  There are a few in most of my hives and they are on a concrete slab.  And I spray around the edge, so don't mow, with diesel.  but they still come from some where.

Joe

Adult SHB fly in to the hive sorry

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:00:13 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Wits End

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 11:06:22 am »
Hey Mike, we are getting a Tractor Supply here soon so you will be able to buy Diatomacious earth  to spread around the hives. I have been using beetle blasters for a couple of seasons but I did see more this year than last.

And by the way, hope you had a great birthday!
Jeff and Kellie Houston
Wits End Blueberry and Bee Farm
Greenwood Mississippi