Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is your favorite part of beekeeping?  (Read 3429 times)

Offline hiram.ga.bee.man

• New Bee
What is your favorite part of beekeeping?
« on: July 29, 2013, 01:29:27 am »
I enjoy, in the evenings after work just sitting watching the bees. There is nothing like it. Also, you know, no two people manage their hives the same way, like fingerprints hive management is unique to every beek. I enjoy seeing how different beeks do things and understanding why. Also being a beekeeper is an art, which means it can always be improved, mastered, fine tuned; that constant challenge to improve and strive to perfect the art is motivating to me. Just my two cents. Look forward to hearing other  comments.
You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: What is your favorite part of beekeeping?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:03:57 am »
Catching swarms especially large ones.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 07:50:39 am »
Selling or giving away my honey.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:21:34 am »
Sitting aside of a hive watching, listening and enjoying the aroma from the hive, especially with one of the Grandchildren on one knee.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:03:09 am »
Wy wife's favorite part of beekeeping is the honey harvest. Just amazed by what these insects give us.
Mine is simply being with the bees. Helping them out,  giving them what they to flourish. Standing in the middle of a large orientation flight and having the bees bump into you.
Makes me feel like I've accomplished something. Kinda weird right?
Later,
Ray

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:11:23 am »
all of it.  working a hive in the spring when the flows are starting and hiving swarms are probably my favorite parts.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:00:34 am »
Trying to understand the bees...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hiram.ga.bee.man

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 02:24:47 pm »
I love 'nella' comment:  "especially with one of the Grandchildren on one knee"
You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?

Offline jan

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 06:12:45 pm »
Sharing my hives with my good friends Selena and Liz.  We harvested honey on saturday.  Selena's 9 year old daughter helped.  It was a great time, and got alot of great pics of the 9 yr. old.  It is something she will never forget.  We got 7 gallons of excellent honey as a bonus!

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 07:37:06 pm »
Catching other beekeepers swarms  :-D

Making my own honey

Making new hives  :angel:

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 09:54:31 pm »
1) Catching swarms, the bigger the better

2) Showing the grand-kids what its all about

3) Trap outs

4) Showing the grand kids what its all about

5) Cut outs

6) Showing the grand kids what its all about

Have 7 grand-kids, 5 are old enough to understand it, took the oldest grand-daughter with me Sunday, got her into her new bee suit and showed her how I was trapping some out of a downed log.  She was all excited to see them carrying pollen in, and a couple fanning on the landing board.

Next spring going to get each of the 5 set up with a caught swarm if I can.

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 10:19:45 pm »
Inspections are very relaxing for me.
I work a lot of long hours and that's my time to slow down, take my time and enjoy what I'm doing. No worrying about production or people or bosses or schedules or meetings. Just enjoying watching, learning and smelling the bees. Very relaxing.
I really wish I'd found this hobby earlier in life.

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 10:42:39 pm »
Getting stung...  :evil: JK

This is a hard question, so let me pretend I lost all my hives, what would I miss the most... I would miss it all. I've ran into a few bumps in the road, lost count how many times I have been stung and money I have spent but nothing has ever made me want to stop. I may have wanted to throw ice cold water on a hive but thanks to my mentor I did not, nasty Texas Bees! But yeah, I think just knowing I don't have my Bees in the backyard would crush me.
What are words for, when no one listens anymore.

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 11:43:12 pm »
There so many things that come to mind but learning is always at the top of everything love to do, rearing the big fat beautiful fertile queens, watching in amazement of their ability to deal with whatever comes there way, but the one thing that lifts my soul is the smell of the bees!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 05:32:46 pm »
One of the nicer things I like when I'm beekeeping is a newly washed beekeeping suit  :-D

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 09:57:13 pm »
I love every thing to do with beekeeping now that I have healthy bees and know how to make more. I don't have beeyards I have bee sanctuarys.
I have never cared about the money I have spent or the money I get back. I have great bee's very nice to be around and I have lots of honey and where I have them on my land is secluded and very peaceful and the wild life is just  beautiful . I love sitting reading {now CLASSIC QUEEN REARING COMPENDIUM} sipping tea with my honey watching the bees and all the dragonflys and birds just all of it .Life is good. At almost 50 I feel blessed and beekeeping is a great piece of my life. :-D
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 08:24:50 pm »
I was just out and another thing I love is the smell of the smoker! Wow, I love that smell. I must be a some sort of a scent freak... What calms the bees calms me! LOL!
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 11:54:26 am »
I was just out and another thing I love is the smell of the smoker! Wow, I love that smell. I must be a some sort of a scent freak... What calms the bees calms me! LOL!
Hmmm What do you put in you smoker?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 10:15:05 pm »
Trying to understand the bees...

That's an never ending crusade, I'm still finding new things after 50 plus years snooping amid the combs.

My favorite part has become to be teaching classes on beekeeping and mentoring my students--12 this year.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!