Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ready to add 2nd Hive body!  (Read 5247 times)

Offline Mchero

• New Bee
    • http://home.comcast.net/~nhpinball
Ready to add 2nd Hive body!
« on: July 14, 2004, 03:13:18 pm »
I have two NUCS that are ready for a 2nd hive body! Shall I add the new deeps to the top or the bottom? Should I manipulate any of the frames or just leave alone? I'm building up for the winter. I"m NOT going to take any honey this season.

Thanks All!

RM

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 08:54:56 pm »
I know around here (not far away from you) people put the nuc frames in a deep box, then add another deep, say around Aug. (roughly) and winter them that way.  I started with 2- 3 frame each hives a couple years ago, and they built up terrific, with the exception of  brood chilling last winter (toward the walls)., and a mouse. :evil:

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 08:57:12 pm »
I just caught on...if you have the nucs installed in a deep box already, put the second on top.  Thats how I did mine, anyways.  I didnt move any frames around.  I think it might confuse the bees.

Offline Mchero

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 10:33:12 pm »
1st of June I purchased two 5 frame NUC's. I put each  in 10 frame deeps.

Each hive has drawn out the 5 new frames in each. I'm ready to add the deeps so I guess I'll put them on the top unlesss someone has a better idea.

Thanks lobstafari

RM

Quote from: lobstafari
I just caught on...if you have the nucs installed in a deep box already, put the second on top.  Thats how I did mine, anyways.  I didnt move any frames around.  I think it might confuse the bees.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Ready to add 2nd Hive body!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 01:47:36 am »
Quote from: Mchero
I have two NUCS that are ready for a 2nd hive body! Shall I add the new deeps to the top or the bottom?

When I put second deep super I put it down. Just now we have in Finland cold summer. Last night it was 8C degrees, however day temperature is 20C.

When you put second super on top, bees need to warm 100% more space. When you put it down, they take into use as they are able.

Now I use terrarium heater in my littel hives and if you put 15W heat cable on the floor, it is safe to put second on the top. With warmer nuc can raise 3 times more brood than narurally warmed.

At spring I allways enlarge hive down wards.  Most of Finnish beekeepers enlarge to the top, but their hives are not so big as I have :))

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 01:52:42 am »
Mchero,
      My experience has been that if the bees have drawn out at least 8 frames in the original hive body it's time to add a second hive body on top. There's no need to do any manipulation unless you want to pull two of the brood frames up into the top hive body to encourage the bees to start working in it quicker. If you do this, close up the other frames in the bottom hive body and add one frame of foundation on either end to refill the bottom hive body.

Offline Mchero

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 10:01:01 am »
Ordered the two hive bodies from Betterbee last Monday. I hope to see the hive bodies soon. Thanks for the tips.

RM

Quote from: carbide
Mchero,
      My experience has been that if the bees have drawn out at least 8 frames in the original hive body it's time to add a second hive body on top. There's no need to do any manipulation unless you want to pull two of the brood frames up into the top hive body to encourage the bees to start working in it quicker. If you do this, close up the other frames in the bottom hive body and add one frame of foundation on either end to refill the bottom hive body.

anything