Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting my package! Going to be chilly...  (Read 3540 times)

Offline acidwashed

• New Bee
Getting my package! Going to be chilly...
« on: April 10, 2008, 11:55:59 pm »
Hey guys,
I've been lurking around for a while on the advice of jimmyo and have picked up lots of helpful information so thanks.  Just wanted to see if I could get a couple of opinions on the situation that I'll be facing this weekend. 

My package bees are due to arrive on Saturday to be picked up from the metro beekeep association.  I've been pretty excited about this day for a while and it'll be great to finally get off to my first hive.  The new hive is set up in the yard and Jim is coming over to give a hand (or good advice). 

Unfortunately, the forecast is for highs in the upper 40's maybe low 50's through at least next Wednesday.  I know you shouldn't be opening your hives too much when it's that cool but will this affect the success of the package install?  It seems like if I let them sit in the shed for a couple of days, the low of 30 could be pretty worse than installing them in cooler temperatures.  I borrowed a hive-top feeder and I thought I'd give them a 1:1 mixture to help them along.  I also borrowed a frame of pre-drawn comb to help them get started as well.   

Do you think they'll be too cold to release the queen or should it be all right?

Thanks for any help!
Mike   

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Getting my package! Going to be chilly...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 12:11:00 am »
The beekeepers on this forum will agree that you can hive them in this weather. It will not hurt anything. Just move along calmly and quickly as possible. They may not be as friendly as when it is warm.

The feeding solution you are going to do sounds good to me also. That is what I gave my bees when I hived them, and the drawn out comb is a plus for them.

I am a new beekeeper also, having started out 3 years ago. Good luck with your new hobby.

Annette

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 12:32:36 am »
i have hived packages in cold and wet.  they will be ok.  make sure you have the bottom closed if you are using a screened bottom board and  have the entrance reducer on the small opening. 

when you get a chance, go to your profile and put your location. that way people in your area can give you area specific advice.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 11:10:59 am »
Hey Acidwashed,

As kathyp and Annette have said, it'll be okay to hive your package in cooler temps. Get'em in and get'em covered and they'll be fine.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn about bees. Glad to hear you're connected with another beekeeper and a beekeeping club. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Here are some pix of some packages I installed last spring:
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/indypartridge/installing%20bees/

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 12:33:03 pm »
The question that I have in my head is:  Will it be good to release the queen from her cage so the workers can keep her warm or keep her in the cage so we don't loose her? The workers should have her out in 24 hrs if all goes well.   I can give him a queen excluder for the bottom of the box if we release her when we install the package.
  It will be 48 for the high and 38 for the low with rain in the afternoon or evening.
JimmyO 

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 12:55:44 pm »
Just did my bees last week with the same weather. I left the queen in and she was just fine. I now have eggs and all is going well. Good luck!!!

Offline acidwashed

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 03:21:58 pm »
Sounds like everything should go smoothly...hopefully.  Thanks for the comments and now if you could all join me in a no-rain dance, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks again.
Mike

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 11:54:02 pm »
Good luck!

I hived my very first package last Saturday, but haven't been able to get in to check to see if the queen has been released and laying yet because the weather hasn't been very good and I get home from work too late.  Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and pleasant so I am doing my first inspection.  I hope I find the queen active and laying!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 01:08:36 am »
I hope so too.

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 09:13:32 pm »
Don't worry,be happy, everythings going to be ok. Them bees are tougher than you think.  ;)
God bless Us all!!

Offline acidwashed

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 09:39:55 pm »
Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

Everything went pretty well today.  I think the chilly temps had the bees calmed and the install went off without a problem.  They are all fed and put to bed and I'll be checking on them in a few days when it warms up a bit.  Hopefully, they'll love their queen and everything will be groovy in bee land. 

Will the drawn comb that I borrowed promote laying right away?  I was told that my queen was already mated.  I even got my first sting out of the way when one of the girls got up my pants leg.  I'm going to re-read everything I've looked at up to this point since I have a little better handle on where I'm at with the bees.  Do you all know how long I should keep the entrance reduced?   

I think Jim has some pics so maybe he'll post them up in the near future.
 Thanks.
Mike

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 11:21:19 pm »
The workers will clean cells out and she will start laying as soon as thats done.
You will know when to make the entrance bigger. The bees will be standing in line to get in, when that happens, open her up.

Eddie
God bless Us all!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 11:28:19 am »
Mike, welcome to our forum, nice that you have found us, this place will be your biggest tool for learning, asking questions.  When you have some time, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself in the greetings forum, we love to hear what new members are up to.

The entrance reducer.  I would leave that on for awhile.  You will "feel" when it is time to take it off, the bees in the wild have only a small entrance (or a couple) to their colonies.  Ask your questions, you will always get great answers, and no question is ever considered dumb or not deserving of an answer.  Have the best of this great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 10:23:06 pm »

Acidwashed and his new bees

anything