Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Air stapler  (Read 5978 times)

Offline broke-t

• New Bee
Air stapler
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:30:32 pm »
Earlier this summer boght a stapler at Lowes to use on bee equip.  Went with the Bostitch for $105.  Has been really nice.

Was at Sears store a few weeks later and went into their parts and repair department and found refurbished craftsman stapler and brad nailers for $55.  Always a dollar short and a day late.

Anybody that has been thinking about getting a stapler for building frames and other bee stuff this would be a good place to get a deal.

Johnny

Offline millermann1972

• New Bee
Re: Air stapler
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:10:36 pm »
hello broke-t
i got a dewalt crown stapler off of ebay for $80.00 with shipping included. 18 guage and shoots up to a inch and a half staple and does a great job. .. millermann1972

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 04:02:36 pm »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:11:28 pm »
Jerry,

I got this one thru harbor freight also on sale for $20 at the time.  It was like 3-4 years ago and a ton of frames and supers later it is still going strong.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97524

I was so happy with it, I picked up another at one point.  Thought it was the same thing but it was not.  The original one is purple and the 2nd one is blue.  Used it twice and the lever that holds the staple drawer closed broke.   Purple one is metal, blue one is plastic :roll:

So if anyone decides to pick up one from HF,  I advice aking sure the lever for loading staples is metal.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 05:33:03 pm »
I got a complete set of stuff from HD...lets see...compressor plus stapler/brad driver, tire inflation fitting, ball inflation fitting(needle), and a bunch of other stuff for $60. The stapler will do fine in less dense wood like pine. It will not drive 1 1/4" staples through oak. It's great for frame building especially using a jig like Ross has on his website. Set up the side bars. Glue. Place the top bars. Shoot. Flip. Glue. Place the bottom bars. Repeat. Done. If you are demo'ing for others wait for the applause.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:33:07 pm »
i got mine from HF also.  it's great.  we have another one, but i don't know where it came from.  it's pretty old.

i don't use glue. i  use  long nails on the boxes and the long staples on the frames.  i only use glue to repair some of the old equipment i got.  love to watch gorilla glue foam :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:10:43 pm »
This past Saturday I was part of a woodworking crew putting together beekeeping supplies. This was through the beekeeping association in Sacramento. (well actually it was one of the members who opened up his woodworking shop for members to make things)

For the first time in my life, I held a nail gun and actually was able to use this for hours on end. Now for all you experienced beeks who do this all the time this probably means nothing, but if you knew me, you would be very proud of me.

It was so much fun. We put together SBB, Telescoping covers and Follower Boards.

I may purchase one of these some day.

Annette
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:28:44 pm by annette »

Offline golddust-twins

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:10:32 pm »
I'll have to get me one of those.  Looks like fun.

Corinne

Offline charlescfry

• New Bee
    • Fry Farms
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 09:33:35 pm »
  I just bought a Dewalt at Lowes - paid $99. The one I purchased drives 18 ga. brads, and will drive a 2" brad through white oak. There is a VERY easy adjustment on the Dewalt (not all cheaper ones have this) to allow the adjustment of the driving depth without adjusting the air pressure. I can dial back the strength to drive brad in to frames, then even dial it back further to drive 5/8" brads in to wedge bars and have a little bit still showing out of the wedge bar (personal preference).

My only regret about this nailer is that I did not buy it years ago! We try to stick with brand-name tools for the farm, so I know the $99 might put off some folks... but wow! - I can sure assemble frames so much faster with this thing!
==================================
Charles Fry
Amateur Farmer & Entremanure
Fry Farms, Ohio, USA

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 09:54:53 pm »
For the inexperienced, never shoot a nail in the direction of your hand, even if the hand is not inline with the nail.  Nails will follow grain at times and turn 90 degrees or more.  A nail can also blow all the way through a board and become a missle.  A nail in the knuckle is not pleasant.  DAMHIKT.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 11:01:22 pm »
that reminds me of the time that i was shooting 1 1/4" staples into the top bar and 3/4" staples into the bottom bar so i would have to unload/reload the stapler. so then when i stapled the bottom bar i knew that i could put my thumb in a position that a 3/4" staple wouldn't reach it. didn't think that there might be a 1 1/4 incher left in the stapler....and then in my thumb. more blood than pain but be careful with those things. i agree with keeping your hands and fingers out of the line of fire.