Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Derekm's Hive  (Read 61978 times)

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Derekm's Hive
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2012, 05:59:33 am »
r.  

However I suspect the dynamics in foam hives is quite different and that the ideal setup is not the same as in wood.  I base this on my observations to date as well as physics theory.

I do not understand anything. What beekeeping has to do with physics. Guys with quite low intelligence can nurse bees

.  As others here have said, it appears that the foam hives can act more like an ice cooler than a heater .

Good heavens what rubbish. Bees themselves generate the herat into the hive 36C. It they do not, they are dead.
When have you met a freezener which has 36C heater and which uses sugar as

In winter I have measured that the hive generates 42C temp into the hive when it is disturbed.

Many guys say that tar paper heats the hive because it catch sun light. Good heavens. We have now a period where sun will heat tarpare in 10.3 Match.  
Our sun heats nothing from Ochtober to Marsh. Neither it heat at night and in cloudy days. Sun is away just then when it is needed. CRY!

This is where I suspect Brother Adam failed in his experiments with insulation.

Good heavens.

It seems that in America there lives many Brother Adams which's immortal ideas will be burden on the beekeeping from generation to  generation

Language barrier NOT included

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2012, 08:30:14 am »
Finski, aren’t you the one always telling us not to keep bees in 3 deeps!  Aren’t you the one telling us the bees can’t keep such a big box warm?  My observation is: too few bees in too big of a box will be cold, even with insulation.  Insulation will probably make that situation even worse since there would be no chance of a solar gains from the Sun.

Imagine this, you’re cold and you walk into a super insulated house that has no furnace….so it is cold.  Your body is generating about 100 watts of heat, is that enough to warm up an entire house and make YOU feel comfortable?  The answer is NO.  The volume is too big.  Now imagine instead some nice beek from the UK gives you a super insulated winter coat to wear.  Is your body heat going to warm that up?  You bet you!  You'll be as happy and warm as a bug in the rug. 

Good Heavens, aren’t the bees in Finland versed in Physics? :) 

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2012, 08:47:22 am »

I do not understand anything. What beekeeping has to do with physics. Guys with quite low intelligence can nurse bees

The level of intelligence of the operator has nothing to do with the relevence of the science to the subject.

Thats like saying if you are deaf, then sound does not exist, which is clearly untrue. The sound exists whether or not you hear it.

Bees fly,aerodynamics;Bee convert sugars into heat, bee move heat  air and water to conduct evapourative cooling, Thermodynamics; bees build structures,mechanics; Bees used polarised light for navigation, optics...

Maybe Finnish bees know more than Finnish Beekeepers, or finnish beekeepers arent that interested in their bees and can only measure their knowledge in kilos of honey
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2012, 10:37:40 am »
and can only measure their knowledge in kilos of honey

So it is...

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2012, 12:17:54 pm »
 8-)  Finally we arrive at the root of Finski's thoughts.  Its all about the honey  :shock:
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2012, 01:14:33 pm »
8-)  Finally we arrive at the root of Finski's thoughts.  Its all about the honey  :shock:

Those who are not able get honey from they hives, they must choice other meaning to their stinging bugs.

Catch and release beekeeping.

Guys leave all honey for winter food. Then they feed bees from July to May.  In June they feed swarms.

And there are 10 ways to feed hives. outdoors and indoors. Wet, dry, moist, hard and what ever ways.

Be broud about that.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2012, 04:42:15 pm »
Sorry Fin, those are your 'assumptions' nothing more.  You have alot of them  :-D  We know.

I get more than enough honey from my bees but it has never been my primary motivation for keeping them.  And I've already told you I 'rarely' get stung despite 7-10 day inspections. 

I'm hardly alone, especially these days.  Perhaps I don't get stung because I'm not always taking all their honey.  Hmmmm? 

As you've told us; You TAKE all honey and feed your bees enough syrup in the Fall to survive until March or April, and now you seem to be condemning those who chose to leave enough honey for overwintering so they don't have to feed syrup unless there's an extreme reason to do so. 

Are you kidding or is it that language barrier thing again?  :-D

Are you trying to convince someone that leaving bees enough of their own honey for winter is a BAD thing? 

Please say it isn't so  :?
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2012, 05:14:42 pm »

Are you trying to convince someone that leaving bees enough of their own honey for winter is a BAD thing? 

No, It is bad thing to the beekeeper. He will be short of money and his wife must get second job.

But sincerely guys, you have    chronic short of jokes there.

. Go to second hand shop and by a joke book. Couple of dollars, I suppose.

http://www.101funjokes.com/

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2012, 05:30:06 pm »
I tel now one...

Our President Urho Kekkonen was in Soviet Union hunting bears.
The party has quite much security guards with them.
Suddenly president Kekkonen got into sight a bear and he shooted it and he got it.

When the bear was then butchered, they found over 70 bullets from bear.

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2012, 06:15:12 pm »

[/quote]Those who are not able get honey from they hives, they must choice other meaning to their stinging bugs.[/quote]

Choices; :roll:

honey?
queens?
pollinate?
wax?
relaxation?
Sirach

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2012, 08:07:48 pm »

No, It is bad thing to the beekeeper. He will be short of money and his wife must get second job.

But sincerely guys, you have    chronic short of jokes there.

. Go to second hand shop and by a joke book. Couple of dollars, I suppose.

http://www.101funjokes.com/

Going into 'joke mode' - pretty good way of avoiding a serious question.

Reminds me of when I used to go trapping eels - slippery little buggers - hard to get a grip on.

Choices; rolleyes

honey?
queens?
pollinate?
wax?
relaxation?

Add:
NUCs ?
packages ?

enjoyment ?
retirement hobby ?
altruism ?
environmental concern ?

sting therapy ? (but definitely NOT for me)

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2012, 08:16:33 pm »
-
Get a life?

You have seemengly everyhting all.

Sting therapy is the best.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2012, 08:22:48 pm »
Personal insults ? Yet another way of avoiding such questions.
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2012, 08:39:03 pm »
Personal insults ? Yet another way of avoiding such questions.

That was my great idea

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:53:22 pm by Finski »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2012, 08:56:25 pm »
-
An Dalmatian went to a telegram office, took out a blank form and wrote, “Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof.”

The clerk examined the paper and politely told the dog: “There are only nine words here. You could send another ‘Woof’ for the same price.”

“But,” the dog replied, “that would make no sense at all.”

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2012, 10:40:57 pm »
As others here have said, it appears that the foam hives can act more like an ice cooler than a heater .

Good heavens what rubbish. Bees themselves generate the herat into the hive 36C. It they do not, they are dead.
I believe you have been known to add electric heat into a poly hive if there isn't enough bees to keep it warm.  So evidently you also believe that insulation alone isn't enough.  You need the right amount of bees for a given volume of hive.  Too much box volume and the bees can not heat it....so it acts like an ice cooler  ;)

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2012, 11:46:24 pm »

I believe you have been known to add electric heat into a poly hive if there isn't enough bees to keep it warm.  So evidently you also believe that insulation alone isn't enough.  You need the right amount of bees for a given volume of hive.  Too much box volume and the bees can not heat it....so it acts like an ice cooler  ;)

It is better that you phone to Brother Adams. He will help you.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:58:13 pm by Finski »

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2012, 02:27:21 am »
 :pop:
Later,
Ray

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2012, 04:13:39 am »
You need the right amount of bees for a given volume of hive. 

No one give to me volume. I fit the hive according the amount of bees. Allways. You know, the hive enlarges in spring  and in autumn it becomes small. I have 6-8 boxes in summer and 1 or 2 box in winter.

I heat my hives 2 months in a year. And the reason is not that I have too few bees. If you know, the hive size is minimum after winter. Have you noticed that.

I have too few bees?  I think that I have too much.

And third: Polybox is not to keep bees in cool. Can you imagine  that?
And at least we do not have such beekeeprs who put vegetables and ice cubics into beehive.
Cavities of the bees' are to keep bees warm.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2012, 05:31:56 am »
I basically agree with what you’re saying Finski.  I USUALLY build my hives according to the amount of bees; just as you say.  However when I didn’t follow that rule and left a bigger space, the bees were really struggling to keep warm, even in a 19mm foam insulated hive.  The bees in more compact boxes were much warmer.

anything