Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Bee Tree  (Read 1518 times)

Offline bbbthingmaker

• House Bee
Another Bee Tree
« on: December 05, 2013, 08:55:43 am »
Got a call yesterday from a friend knocking down dead trees with a backhoe.   "Bees everywhere !  Do You want them ?"   It was a large oak tree, the cavity was about 12 inches in diameter and busted open. It was all exposed to the weather.  It was 70 degrees yesterday  but winter storm forcast for today.  All the comb was busted loose from the top and sides of the cavity.  Lots of squished bees.  I cut and banded as much comb as I could into frames, put them in a hive and left it on the tree trunk,  next to the cavity. I left it there overnight and will go get it this morning.It's likely that the queen was killed, but maybe not.  Spring will tell. This is the third bee tree I've salvaged this fall.  All close to home.  (5 to 8 miles)  I guess there are still feral bees around.

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
Re: Another Bee Tree
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:56:08 am »
Hopefully the queen made it - you never know.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 12:40:27 am »
hehe.. tell em to stop knocking them down until spring!!!

hard to do with a sitution like that.. but never fails, in the fall I get calls to get bees out....
   WHY!!!!!! didnt you call me when they took up residence this spring?
   "Well... I was busy.....     :'(
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline bbbthingmaker

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:16:49 pm »
Today, two days later, the high temperature was 31 degrees. The hive is now just outside my shop, up against a wall to block the wind, with a piece of Styrofoam on top and covered with ice. 

anything