Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tool for observing  (Read 3782 times)

Offline smallswarm

• New Bee
Tool for observing
« on: July 01, 2007, 09:43:59 am »
I have been very happy with these binoculars:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/376569-REG/Pentax_62216_8_5x21_Papilio_Compact_Porro.html

They focus in on objects less than 2 feet away. It's like being right in there with them. Good for spotting mites too.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Tool for observing
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 03:09:24 pm »
 :?
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline smallswarm

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:47:44 am »
This was primarily for Cindi. She and I like to watch them up close.

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 09:39:06 am »
Its not a bad idea..... I have 20/10 vision and have often wondered what other beeks are missing that I see. I can spot a mite from a mile away. 
Sugarbush Bees

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 10:55:36 am »
no foul intended, was just teasing a bit, what time I can spend with my bees I spend it up close and personal. Not that you can't get up close and personal with binoculars.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 04:12:07 pm »
Hey bluegrass, Chuck Yaeger had 20/10 vision. He could spot enemy planes before anyone could. I had 20/15 yrs ago when tested, not sure what I have now, vision still good though.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 06:08:37 pm »
Smallswarm, in all seriousness, that looks like it might be a wonderful toy to have.  Not only do I like to get really close to the bees, I like to get that close to insects and other critters too.  My life, my passion.

Tell me, are they lightweight?  They look like they are tiny and would do a job worth while.  I couldn't begin to imagine the cool summer times I would have with these hangin' off my neck.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 10:02:17 pm »
Its funny when I have to get my DOT physical......I have had people think I was cheating because I can read the bottom line on the eye chart. Once they had the pediatrics chart mounted below the adult chart and when she asked what was the lowest line I could read I started at the bottom, sailboat, triangle, square........
Sugarbush Bees

Offline fcderosa

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 10:38:24 pm »
I had 20/15, enjoy it while you got it.  Age sucks, it seems the more strain you put them through the more it'll show in latter life.  I'm a jeweler :?  Thank God for magnification.  Must have been hard years ago before so many healthcare breakthroughs.
The good life is honey on a Ritz.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 10:45:30 pm »
Its funny when I have to get my DOT physical......I have had people think I was cheating because I can read the bottom line on the eye chart. Once they had the pediatrics chart mounted below the adult chart and when she asked what was the lowest line I could read I started at the bottom, sailboat, triangle, square........

I am the same way...my new contacts let me read the 20/10 line. It was funny watching the doc move closer to the screen to verify the line, since he didn't have it memorized.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 10:56:05 pm »
Bluegrass, I meant to comment on your vision.  Is that an unusual thing to have 20/10 vision?  sounds like it, well, then consider yourself a lucky human being.  Have the wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 09:31:26 am »
I don't know how unusual it is, its normal to me......I have been told that I should have taken aviation in college and gone into the military as a fighter pilot. Oh well.....everybody has their missed callings ;)

My wife plays a game with me when we are traveling to see how soon I can read the road signs as they come up, its usually a good five or six seconds before she can. I bet when I do get older and start loosing it it will suck more for me than it does for other people.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 09:27:45 pm »
Cindi, it is unusual to have 20/10 vision, heck 20/15 is unusual. 20/20 is perfect vision so 20/10 is more perfecter than perfect, bluegrass should have his eyes bronzed.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 09:38:34 am »
bluegrass, you are a lucky soul, and everyone else that has this to hold in their hands.  Vision is such a gift, I know I take it for granted.  My vision is good, except I can tell that things that are far away are not as good as they once were.  I have glasses for long distance vision, but rarely use them.  When I put them on I am astounded at how clear things far away are, silly, I should wear them, but I can't stand them.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi