Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation Hive Glass  (Read 2777 times)

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Observation Hive Glass
« on: April 15, 2005, 03:05:52 pm »
I have just  cleaned out my observation hive and removed all of the brace/burr comb that was stuck to the glass.  What a mess.  

An obsservation hive is more work than I thought!   I had read in BeeCulture that someone would coat the glass with "something" and this helped keep the brace/burr comb off of the glass.  

Does any know what this magic substance is?  

I have a few weeks before I can get this Observation hive going again, and having a clean display is critical.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Observation Hive Glass
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 03:19:57 pm »
Did you see this part of Michael Bush's post about his observation hives?

Space between the glass:
For reasons unknown to me, no one seems to get this right. The draper has about 2 1/4" between the glass and the bees burr the glass up a lot. The Brushy Mt. hives have 1 1/2" between the glass and when I put in frames of brood from a hive it was too tight a fit and the brood could not emerge and the bees absconded. I reworked the Brushy Mt. hives by adding a screen molding (available at the hardware store) which is 1/4" thick. I put it behind the hinges on the hinge side and behind the door as a stop on the opposite side and added one next to the door just to match the other side. This has worked perfectly and it is my most thriving hive now. 1 3/4" is just the right amount of space between the glass for an observation hive. 1 7/8" is ok.

Do you think maybe you have too much space between the glass, and that's why they're burring it up? By the way, the awnser to your real question is, no I have no idea what the magical solution is, sorry :cry:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

anything