Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Giant Beetles under hive covers.  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• House Bee
Giant Beetles under hive covers.
« on: June 06, 2010, 01:34:27 pm »
These were NOT hive beetles. They were huge, shiny beetles with large mandibles. They were an 1 3/4 to 2 inches long, almost an inch wide. Mandibles/pinchers were about 1/2 inch long. Black tops, black undersides. One each under 2 of the hive covers. I killed both and got pictures of one. Not sure how to get the pics from my ancient cell phone, or whether I have enough posts to put it up. What are these, and are they a threat to the hive?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Giant Beetles under hive covers.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 02:10:21 pm »
They eat wood, or rotting wood.   I don't think they bother the hive unless they are eating the wood.

Offline Xperiment

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 06:36:04 pm »

You've found a nest of super beetles?  Wow.  I thought they were extinct:

Cool

Offline Paynesgrey

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:43:38 pm »
Sorry to disappoint you Xperiment. Those are not quite the same kind of beetles.  The ones in my hives were several magnitudes smaller, had larger mandibles, and no white stripe on the side. My beetles also lacked the distinctive dorsal bulge and tire/window/wiper pattern seen in your specimen. Nice picture though. I am confident that the beetles in my hive would not steer as well either :)   

AllenF, so these are not carnivorous beetles then, or ones that lay hive destroying larvae like the SHB? I'm amazed they were able to squeeze under the covers.

I saw no damage to the wood, no chew marks or such, but I'll watch for it. All the hives are new, painted outside, and lack any signs of water damage. They are on four 2 hole concrete blocks, mulched all around with wood chips. It has been desperately dry here for weeks, but high humidity as always. I wonder if they are hiding out from the heat, the way that Tree Roaches (Palmetto bugs) become pests in pine shaded houses during Inferno season (July/August ) around here?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:08:47 pm »
Sounds like it could be PEG beetles to me.  http://entweb.clemson.edu/museum/beetles/local/btle14.htm

I don't think that the beetle eats wood, but the larvae do, most likely hiding nearby where the larvae are hatching out.  The larvae like soft wet rotting wood with ground contact, so I don't think that they are a problem.

If it is peg beetles, the adults have a little tiny bump on their nose (thus the peg), and often make squeaking noises when captured.

Other than that maybe some kind of stag beetle, they are harmless as well.

rick
Rick

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 11:28:47 pm »
I wouldn't worry about them.  I have found everything from beetles to spiders between the outer and inner cover.  It's just a tempting place to hide.  Dark, weather proof, temperature controlled, and the neighbors don't bother you as long as you stay out of their way.  What's not to like? :-D

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

anything