Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Add super?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline TerraJoy

• New Bee
Add super?
« on: July 14, 2011, 01:33:06 pm »
Recently my hive had successful superseding of the queen.  As of my last inspection my new queen has not filled up the brood chamber in the lower super, however my bees have filled 7 out of 10 frames on the second super with honey and pollen.  My question is should I switch the the supers or add another one... or something else? This is my first year. Thanks!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Add super?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 02:07:07 pm »
not certain what you mean by "switch the the supers".     Are you saying the new queen is in the bottom hive body and the top hive body is getting full?  As long as she has room in the bottom to lay and they room above to store, they will be fine.  If they fill the top box and start back filling the bottom they could  swarm on you.  If this is the case just give them a super above and let them move some honey up. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Add super?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 02:42:34 pm »
agreed.  wouldn't swap boxes.  you want the honey above for winter anyway.  they are doing things they way they are supposed to. 

adding another box for honey is a good idea, but if the honey below is capped they will not move it up.  often, they will not move it anyway.  if your queen needs more room to lay, pull some of the honey frames from the middle of the top box and replace them with empty frames.  drawn if you have them.  take the honey frames you just pulled and freeze them for later feeding. remember that we are 1/2 way through summer (most of us) and by September, in most areas, you'll be thinking about reducing size if hive.  if you consider that now, it will help you decide how many boxes you want to add, and what size.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.