Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: should I, or shouldn't I?  (Read 2898 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
should I, or shouldn't I?
« on: June 23, 2009, 05:16:53 pm »
A little advice, if you please.  I appreciate all that you guys have given me thus far.  Thanks!

I got a call today from another lady that has bees in a front porch pillar.  I stopped and gave her an estimate on removal.  I could hear quite a bit of activity inside, but did not see many bees coming or going. 

During our second conversation, she informed me that her husband, unbeknownst to her, had been spraying the bees.  She did not know when she called me.  The bees are still alive, but in what condition, I don't know.  At this point I don't know what he sprayed them with.  Something from the hardware store, she thought.   

Should I let them deal with the situation on their own, or help them with the removal as planned (nothing is free, of course)? Obviously, the bees have little to no value at this point, but maybe they are somewhat salvagable.  ???  Also, the honey, such as it might be, will be no good.

I just wondered what you guys/girls thought.  Nice people, and they (she) was concerned about the bees.  Opinions?  Thoughts? 

-Joker
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline wayne

• House Bee
Re: should I, or shouldn't I?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 06:11:05 pm »
 If you want the bees, I would tell her to wait a week or two and have the hubby back off. If they build back up then he missed and the casualties are from trying to get past the entrance. If they die off then they don't need you.
 If this is a pay job then cut them out and collect the fee.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:22:11 pm »
Either they leave them alone and allow them to build up again as Wayne pointed out, and if they are strong (in 2 weeks) remove them, but treat them as a package, ditch the combs, or leave the job for the husband to figure out.

They can't have it both ways.

Either way be polite in your requests or in your decline to deal with them, as I know you will. Why? Because you're not a jerk! :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:42:48 pm »
Thanks to both of you for the advice.  I knew I could count on it.  That is Y I love this forum.  Great resource.

On a serious note, thanks, JP for noticing that I am not a jerk LOL.  NOW if I a can convince the rest O   the world LOL.  :)
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 11:16:49 pm »
i saved a hive that had been sprayed.  of course, i didn't know it had been sprayed until i got into it...then it's "oh ya, forgot to tell you...." but it was a huge hive and the center was all that had been sprayed.  good numbers in the hive and found the queen.  she was ok.

the good thing about the spray that they sell in the hardware store is that it has a short 1/2 life.  if the hive survives the first week or so, and the queen is not killed, it might make it ok.

don't' eat the honey  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 10:53:59 am »
Joker, good luck, I would love to hear of the outcome.  It is too bad when people spray the bees to kill, some people just don't get it, their fear takes over I think.  Tell the story.  Have a great and wonderful day, love and live, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything