Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap out in progress  (Read 13023 times)

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
Re: Trap out in progress
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 10:08:39 pm »
Thanks Idee ,I understand a little better now . Didn't think about the light situation. Very ingenious thinking,don't let anyone rib you about it. Guys like you make it easy for ole farts like me  to learn new tricks.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 10:20:15 pm »
Jimmy, these guys know me. I couldn't live without a little ribbing to keep my blood flowing. Don't worry, I can give it back, too. They are all a bunch of good sports.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 11:51:54 pm »
Iddee, you have done an exemplary job of this thread, my hat off to ya!!!  Go, Iddee, go!!!  Have that wonderful and the most beautiful day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 07:48:21 pm »
Thanks, cindi.... Here's the next episode.

It has rained here daily since I changed boxes on the trap. Today is the first decent flying day we have had. When I arrived, there was a mass exodus coming out of the cone. A half dozen or more waiting to come out. Here is what it looked like 30 minutes later, when I was ready to leave.

Overall, the trap out has been textbook. I just hope Murphy doesn't step in and mess things up.

I am also teaching SKI to be dumb, like me. With his beesuit on the ground and him on the ladder.   :mrgreen:    :mrgreen:

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 11:19:32 am »
Iddee, keep it coming!!! Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 01:57:33 pm »
Removed the second box today. 7 frames of bees in near a cluster mode. It was still cool when we got there and they hadn't fully spread out yet. I would guess there is 9 frames of bees when the temp hits 60 and sunny. With 7 frames of drawn comb and three of foundation, they were all on the drawn.

We replaced it with a medium, with a frame containing eggs, larva, pollen and honey. Trying to get a medium nuc started with this one.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 02:03:50 am »
I just read through this entire thread for the first time. I'm enjoying this very much!
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 04:12:27 am »
Iddee, you are the king of trap outs, as I've said many times. Thanks for much for keeping this thread going and all the nice pictures to help explain things to my hard head!  :-D

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 06:34:15 pm »
Thanks, all, for the kind words. Here is today's update.

Ski checked the trap today. The medium super we put on had 4 frames of bees in the middle of the day. Bees were flying and foragers were bringing in from the fields. I'm guessing there will be 6 frames of bees tonight when they are all in the box. There were still bees exiting the cone. There was one queen cell, still open and full of royal jelly.
Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since the trap was set. The two hives I have gotten from it are doing quite well. This one will be ski's. He uses all mediums. It is coming along good, and they are still coming out from the house. We will check it again next week and possibly add another medium.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 11:46:05 pm »
You are my idol Iddee!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 11:30:19 pm »
Ski checked the trap today. He found 4 capped queen cells. This will be the third hive from this trap out.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 12:28:31 pm »
We checked the trap Yesterday. The number of bees doesn't seem to be increasing. There are still bees exiting now and then, but very few. I think it is winding down. Another week and I expect to see no more bees exiting.  Then it will be time to remove the cone and allow the bees to clean out the house.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 12:34:43 pm »
3 hives and about 6 weeks.  Not too shabby at all.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline wxton

• New Bee
    • Beagles, Bees and Cloudy Days
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11:23 pm »
I have what might also be a stupid question.  How do you get the boxes down off of that platform?  Do you seal them off and strap them down before the descent down the ladder or what?  Read this for the first time tonight and is a great thread.  Would this work for trapping bees out of a hollow tree? 
Hopefully I learned more today than I forgot yesterday!!

Britt

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 11:21:16 pm »
>>>>How do you get the boxes down off of that platform?<<<<

VERY CAREFULLY!!   Actually, you should seal them off with screen after dark. Dummy me, I just pick it up and walk down the ladder.

>>>>Would this work for trapping bees out of a hollow tree?<<<<

Sure did.....

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 02:21:47 pm »
Ski checked the trap today. Still had 4 frames of bees, same as for the last two weeks. That says the house is empty. Haven't seen a bee exit the cone for a week. He removed the cone so they can begin the clean up.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 03:04:46 pm »
i might have miss this, but did the queen cells come from the brood you put in the box.  as i recall, you don't usually get the queen with your trap outs? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 03:50:06 pm »
The queen cells come from the eggs I put in the box, Yes.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline wxton

• New Bee
    • Beagles, Bees and Cloudy Days
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 03:21:29 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I have a hive in a hollowed out hole in a pecan tree about 15' up.  they have been there about 3 years living on there own.  Must be pretty good genetics.  I am gonna try and get them.  i am gonna have to build a plat for up the tree sortof like a deerstand to hold the box but other than that...should go pretty easily.  Thanks again.
Hopefully I learned more today than I forgot yesterday!!

Britt

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 04:31:52 pm »
You can screw the box right to the tree also.   I use a screen bottom board and a sheet of coroplast for the top to keep the weight down.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison