Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap out in progress  (Read 13023 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Trap out in progress
« on: March 18, 2009, 05:32:17 pm »
If you aren't tired of my trap out posts yet, maybe you will be after this one. I am starting a trap from a house and will post as it goes along.

It started last fall, but I convinced the owner to wait until spring. When I quoted him a price, I added the cost of building the platform. He decided to build it himself. I went today and helped him set it up.

I will take a frame of eggs and a hive tomorrow or Saturday and set the cone. I will post again at that time. I will then check it 24 to 48 hours later to see if they have found an alternative entrance. The owner has agreed to do the weekly check and call me from the site, to save my travel charges.

Robo and Beemaster, if this is going to take up too much space, let me know and I'll stop.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Trap out in progress
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 06:37:08 pm »
Robo and Beemaster, if this is going to take up too much space, let me know and I'll stop.

We would be doing a great disservice to our members if we told you to stop......This is what this forum is all about.  Keep it coming.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:52:48 pm »
do you plan on removing the comb  when your done???

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:11:28 pm »
No, only the honey.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 11:44:29 pm »
Don't ever stop!

Hey, are there honey stains on some of those bricks from a previous colony I'm seeing?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:09:22 am »
The colony has two entrances. The area is stained a lot. The colony is at least 3 years old. I caught a swarm from it 2 years ago. I would like to have the genetics, but he doesn't want to tear into the ceiling of the tenant's bedroom.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 01:52:32 am »
That platform he built is pretty cool. Thanks for posting, look forward to the progress reports.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 09:52:59 pm »
We made the setup today. Began with setting the cone and sealing around it with silicone.

Next we set the box with 9 frames, some foundation, some drawn comb.

Then the frame with brood and eggs was placed as the second frame from the wall of the house.

We spent the next two hours watching them gather at possible alternative entrances and filling them with silicone.

When we finished, it looked like this.

We will check again tomorrow for bees exiting, any entrances we missed, and the overall condition of the set up. Then either get a call from the owner, or check it ourselves, once or twice weekly.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 11:04:52 pm »
Thats a nice setup, I've never done a trapout yet, about how long does it normally take to complete the job?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 11:31:26 pm »
It's in direct relation to how long they have been there and how many stores they have. This is an old hive. I expect 5 weeks or more. Could go 7 or 8. Hopefully, tho, they had just enough to make it through winter and haven't built up yet. Then it could take as little as 3 to 4 weeks.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 11:39:49 pm »
Iddee, its funny how you prefer removing bees from inside a building. I prefer removing them from the exterior.

Seems like you have a really good customer here. Will you be getting that nice platform he made?

...JP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 12:51:16 am »
Yes, it goes with me when I leave. He first gave it to me, but I knocked a hundred off the job, so he didn't loose it all. It has adjustable legs and totally disassembles by pins. I will be using it often.

Too many bees flying in your face when doing it from the outside. Besides, I can do a 3 story standing on the floor.  :-P   :lol:

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 12:54:49 am »
Very nice! I thought it looked to be adjustable. Good luck with the trap out.

...JP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 03:52:47 pm »
I checked the trap today and everything looks good. I watched the cone for an hour and a half, from 1:00 PM until 2:30 PM. There was a steady exodus of 5 to 10 bees per minute, and some had taken up residence in the hive enough to be leaving it and going straight to the fields. Others returning were going immediately into the hive with pollen on both hind legs. So far, so good. They had NOT found any new entrances, so I don't think they will after this time.

I didn't open the hive, so I don't know if I lost the brood last night. We had a heavy frost, but hopefully there were enough bees to cover it. I will check for queen cells next weekend, and if I don't have them, I will install another frame with eggs.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 01:24:07 pm »
Checked the trap today. Had 8 frames of bees and 2 nice, capped queen cells. It's going just fine so far. I would like to change out the box and start another, but the weather forecast is not looking so good. My next move will be a gamble, as to when to change it out without the new brood frame and eggs chilling before there's enough bees to cover it. Hopefully we will have one sunny, 65 degree day within the next week when I can exchange the boxes with a good amount of foragers out in the field. That should be enough to cover one frame of brood until more leave the house.   I HOPE>>>

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 05:27:38 pm »
I posted this on the cut out thread, but decided to repeat it here.

I had a change of plans. It was sunny and warm today, giving me a chance to exchange the boxes on the trap out, since the first one was nearly full. The sprayed bees have made it 10 days and is queenright, but only 2 frames of bees. I decided to put it on the trap and remove the full box with two queen cells. The cells should be emerging Thur., so today would be day 12.

Some have asked me about putting a queen and a frame of bees on a trap. I have never tried it before, but will have an answer for them in a week. The trap bees may accept her and may kill her and raise their own. Either way, I should have the genetics from the sprayed cut out.

As always, when keeping bees, be ready to change plans at any given moment. They are always going to be different than you originally plan.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 06:55:16 pm »
just wanted to thank you for doing this.  it has been very interesting and informative.  i do not have the patience that you seem to have, but your info is very valuable. one never knows what might come up!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 07:13:31 pm »
I not no doctor. I don't got no patients.   :-D

Kathy, when it comes to humans, I don't have much patience at all, but with animals, I can wait till eternity, it seems. There's just a world of difference there.

I hope it helps people help my bees. The bees are what are important. Thanks for the accolades. Hope I can live up to them.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 08:05:34 pm »
Question please, I can understand the trap from a fish angle however , the bees will not go back inside the small hole of screen, because?

I have always been told there are no stupid questions, althought I sort fo feel silly asking this one. Thanks

BTW: Is that 1/8 inch hardware cloth?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 09:30:18 pm »
In my opinion, They don't go back in because they are oriented onto the base, and the catch box is closer. Also, >>>>I think!<<<< They cannot see the difference in the holes in the wire and the hole in the end of it. If you used a solid funnel, I think they would find the hole and use it instead of going in the catch box. The scent could also play a part in it. The scent dissipates through the wire rather then escaping through the hole in the end.

None of this is scientifically proven, just my thoughts.

Yes, it's 1/8 wire. 1/4 will allow the bees to pass through, and screen will collapse and block their exit.

*Shel Silverstein*

anything