Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to forum ~  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Flygirl

• House Bee
  • ~ It's never to late to have a happy childhood ~
New to forum ~
« on: December 31, 2007, 02:12:19 pm »
Greetings from Alaska.  I'm a relatively new beekeeper as I have been a "helper" to a friend who has bees & this fall inherited two hives to try & winter over.  I'm planning on ordering two packages just in case these bees don't make it through the winter.  If they do I guess I'll have 4 hives :)

We've had a fairly mild winter in Anchorage with just a bit of snow & temps in the 20's & 30's.  Pretty typical for Anchorage since we're on the coast.  I haven't seen any activity around the hives & I don't expect any for a couple of months but all the talk about warmer temps is making me anxious for spring ;)

I've enjoyed all the topics on the board ~ thanks for all the great & friendly information!  Flygirl!
~ It's never too late to have a happy childhood ~

Offline zan

• House Bee
Re: New to forum ~
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 04:55:02 pm »
Welcome to the forums Flygirl!
Zan

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 10:35:51 am »
Flygirl.  Welcome.  Great place to spend time, as you have seen.  It is always wonderful to have a new forum friend come along.  We have members all over the world and we glean knowledge from everyone too.  Beekeeping is very different with the many different climates.  Welcome again, enjoy your time spent with us.  Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 06:20:03 pm »
Good luck Flygirl (I like your name, sounds like you are a super hero)

Read often and keep learning. Ask lots of questions.

Annette

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 09:02:09 pm »
Hey Flygirl!
 I figure If you get your bees thru the winter up there You're ready for more bees!!
 Welcome to the forum! I think you'll find this place to be a plethora of information!..And the people are nice too!
 By the way,...I came from Alaska! Back in '72 we moved here from Fairbanks! My dad was stationed at Eielson AFB for a few years.

Well, I wish you luck with the bees and hope to see you here again!
your friend,
john

Offline Flygirl

• House Bee
Thanks everyone ~
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 12:22:54 am »
Thanks ~  this is a geat site & forum.  Looking forward to the spring to see if my bees have survived :)  Happy New Year!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 07:24:14 am »
Welcome flygirl! You like flies? Hey, are there really no termites in Alaska?

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 07:33:42 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 01:50:35 pm »
Welcome!!  If you want to check on the bees, put your ear right up against the hive as tight as you can without getting frostbite, and then gently knock the hive.  You should be able to hear a little "roar" or buzz. 
Ha!!before you know it you won't have 4 hives, you will have 40!!!  Beekeeping has a way of sneaking up on you and taking over before you realize what happened....

Welcome flygirl! You like flies? Hey, are there really no termites in Alaska?

Sincerely, JP

Thanks, jp, here I had this picture of a superhero, and now all I'm getting is a picture of a giant fly wearing lady's clothes!!! :shock:

Of course there are no termites!! Everybody knows that Alaska is all frozen tundra...no trees and the ground is always frozen (permafrost - I know a big word!!) so the termites can't dig!!

Rick
Rick

Offline Flygirl

• House Bee
Re: New to forum ~ Alaska weather
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 07:54:09 pm »
Yep ~  I did the old hear to hive test but I didn't hear anything so I'm worried!  It's been warm ~ high 30's in Anchorage & the little bit of snow is melting & slushy.  The days are short...but very sunny up to about 5'ish pm.

We're on the downside now as we start gaining daylight everyday!  FG

ps:  no I don't like flys but I do like to fly...as in airplanes, dreams & life :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 09:41:50 pm »
That's great flygirl. I once went up in a single engine Tomahawk over New Orleans. It was down right scary, like a kite with an engine. It was my uncle's idea, he wound up taking flying lessons and convinced me to tell the guy I was interested as well. They only had single engines available so we each went up in one with an instructor. My instructor was nuts for letting me fly that plane, can't believe I'm still alive after that. You will have different challenges keeping bees in Alaska, I'm sure. That looks like a cool beekeeping club Michael posted. Good luck with your bees and the flying. Hey, you could have liked flies, you never know.

Buzzing about, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 10:54:12 pm »
Someday I wish to be a pilot.  Right now I'm reading flying magazines and crashing in simulators.  Seems like flying a private jet would be the ultimate vacation.

Welcome to the forum Flygirl!
calebgo.com - My website

anything