Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sticky board removal  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Sticky board removal
« on: May 12, 2007, 01:46:27 am »
It was 72 hours as of 11:30 A.M. today that I had put in the sticky boards on all 9 colonies for mite count.  Yes, mite counting.  The bee breeder told me when I got my nucs that I should monitor for mites.  He performed the fall treatment and spring, but I should check it out regardless.  So I did.

I removed the boards at 11:30 A.M. today, precisely.  The natural drop over 3 days will tell me the goods on if I need to treat or not.  I will ascertain tomorrow the method that I will apply.  We still have at least 45 days before the blackberry flow.  I am very uncertain if I find a mite count that needs attention which way I am going to swing.  I believe it is getting rather late for formic acid, so I am going to probably do the sugar shake.  I have researched this and I believe that it is the most beneficial this time of the year.  There is no worry about any kind of contamination within the colony of excess chemicals.

As I took out each board, I put a mark on it to distinguish each hive, should things get mixed up, one never knows how life goes, things can appear to be different than they really are (LOLL).  I did a very quick visual inspection of each board and I don't think that I saw any mites whatsover.  But, that was a quick examination and I do not trust it.  So, I will be peeking in on these boards tomorrow.  Have a wonderful day, great life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service