Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Eden Lane Cutout. My First!  (Read 4874 times)

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
Eden Lane Cutout. My First!
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:11:17 pm »
Did my first cutout/removal yesterday.  Didn't have a video camera but I did have a camera woman taking pictures and helping me.

My Bushkill bee-vac came in handy and worked like a champ. For the most part the bee's were very docile. I only got stung 4 times through my 'sting proof' platex living gloves. First time I stuck a finger into the brood nest and other times when I pinned a bee to the backside of the comb that I was trying not to drop.

Filled 2 5 gallon buckets with honey and comb, will be crushing/straining it tomorrow most likely.

The bee's were locating in the floor between the 1st and 2nd floor. Right in the corner.

Bee's had also chewed through the ceiling into the house as well.

Colony was 3-4 ft long between a single set of joists.

My Bushkill Bee-Vac. It was a great help and very easy to build and use.

Driven by a little 5.5hp shop vac. Just enough suction to get the job done.

Cutout of capped honey to give to the hive in their box.

box full of bee's. Other than the bee's that were trying to steal their honey back from my buckets and the few buzzing around this was all of them. Never did see the queen. Hopefully she was sucked up and survived.

Putting the cutout frames of honey/brood on top of the pullout screen board.

One of the buckets of 'booty'

Top back on the 'box' pull out screen removed so the bee's can get to the brood.

Bee's this afternoon. Mere minutes after I open their screen up on the bottom so they could get out. I think that is too many bee's for 2 8 frame medium boxes.

I had an interesting time. One of the things you never see in the video's is how messy this really is. I'm not sure if the pure honey combs or the brood/honey combs were messier. This colony had a 2 inch band of capped honey at the top of every single comb.\

I've got more pictures in my photobucket album if you want to see them all.
http://s1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg634/nietssemaj/Bees/Eden%20Lane%20Cutout/

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
Re: Eden Lane Cutout. My First!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:11:53 pm »
keep a roll of paper towels handy.  have bucket right next to your cut out.  get the honey out of the way then work on the brood.  cut around that band to minimize the mess. dont try to put honey in the frames, let the bees do that. just feed their honey back to them later

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:52:37 pm »
I agree with Duck, get the honey out of the way before handleing the brood.  Its also nice to have a small bucket of water near by
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:17:34 pm »
I always try to run three buckets, one for honey to keep, one for water (a must have), and one for scraps of comb and propolis. Cut outs are messy for sure, especially as it gets later in the year, more honey to deal with.

Looks like you did a good job on getting them out!!
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:20:56 pm »
Congrats on first cutout and it is quite messy to say the least. Nice pics also.
James
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 11:24:28 pm »
Forgot to remind you to find the queen and lock her down in a queen catcher if you have one for a couple days so they don't fly away on you. Had that happen twice on me until I got the catcher. Beeks in the north don't have that prob but us down south do.
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 12:11:32 am »
I had a big ole box of heavy duty towels. A bucket of water would have been nice.

I did do the honey first, mostly because I tried to pull out a brood comb and got stung sticking my finger up in there. I also cut the band of honey off the brood comb before I banded it into my frames even then it was still messy.

At one point I was covered in bee's trying to lick the honey off me.

I may go into the box tomorrow and try and find the queen if I can find the time.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:58:22 am »
Well I think I found the queen today.

Unfortunately she was in the bucket with the honey comb.  :(

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 06:16:18 pm »
Nice Job on the removal, and nice pics - thanks for sharing!

Sorry about the queen, but at least now you know to take action to re-queen!

My first cut out was VERY messy - so much honey, but a great learning experience.  The rest have been fairly messy too, but not as bad as the first one.
And it is great learning from the more experienced beeks on the board - very thankful for their advice and tips!

John

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 08:49:34 pm »
Crushed and strained the honey comb Sunday as Tropical Storm Debbie made everything outside soaking wet.

Wound up with 54 lbs of honey.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 11:16:50 pm »
Today was day 29 since I did this cutout and accidentally killed the queen.

We've got eggs. Didn't find the new queen but she's obviously in there.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 09:32:35 pm »
Congratulations on the new queen!

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:41:22 am »
Way to stick with it!  Pardon the pun...  Were there SHB's?  Did you keep the hive in tight quarters to minimize the SHB activity?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 12:37:57 pm »
Yes they had SHB when I cut them out. Though less than the hives I already had at home. In fact they have more SHB now than they did before. I originally housed them in 2 8 frame medium boxes. Though the top box was mostly full of empty foundationless frames and the frame of capped honey I saved.

They've emptied that frame of honey and seem to be storing it downstairs in the old brood comb now. The combs are attached to the frames and they've chewed and thrown out the rubber bands. Many of the cutout comb sections seem to have shruken though there is new comb being lain on the tops, hopefully they'll get the void spaces filled in soon.

They hadn't drawn any of top box frames out and it seemed they were just having to chase SHB around up in the top box so I squeezed them down into 9 frames in a single 8 frame medium box 2 weeks ago.

The bee's do a wonderful job of corralling the SHB, in fact when I go into the hive I can literally hear the bee's sigh and say "Oh great, here he is again. He's going to let all these beetles run amok and we'll be spending the better part of 2 days chasing them all back down and wrangling them."

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 12:39:24 pm »
Incidentally,

I am very pleased to keep some of the genetics from this colony. They are the gentlest bee's I've got in my apiary.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 04:12:26 pm »
Hopefully the new queen will carry the gentle trait on!
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 09:26:01 pm »
Good job! I'm glad it has all worked out.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907