Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Couple of quick questions, I will be hiving two packages in the morning?????  (Read 1168 times)

Offline harvey

• House Bee
I want to start one package on frames with no foundation so they build natural comb.  I took all the foundation out of the dadent frames.  I then cut starter strips to fit and beveled the edges and glued them in the frames.  My plan is to put eight frames in like this and two that are already drawn and full of honey from another hive.  Is this the right way to do this?  I want to put the honey in so as to give them a boost and also to help them start there comb striaght?  Good plan?

The second package I am going to install on regular dadent frames with plasticell.  I also plan on putting two full frames of honey in this hive?  Good thing to do?   

I currently have a queenless hive that is in two deeps.  It has been bringing in an capping a lot of honey although there is no brood.  I am going to steal the capped honey from this hive and put them back down to one box?  I am going to try anyway.  Then the other frames from the box I take I will feed back and then use the empty drawn frames for swarm traps?

Lastly.  I am picking the packages up in the morning.  It is suposed to be raining quite hard tomorrow.  Can I plug the entrance and install the packages in the barn?  Then move them outside say tuesday when it is nicer and open them up then?   I will just put window screen over the entrance if this is a good idea?     Hopefully all yall will see this by morning.  I will check on here then before I start.  Thanks all.   Harv

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
>Is this the right way to do this?

It is one way.

>  I want to put the honey in so as to give them a boost and also to help them start there comb striaght?  Good plan?

Some will criticize it but I think it's fine.

>The second package I am going to install on regular dadent frames with plasticell.  I also plan on putting two full frames of honey in this hive?  Good thing to do?

Well, I wouldn't use the plasticell, but the frames of honey are a great way to feed a new hive.

>I currently have a queenless hive that is in two deeps.  It has been bringing in an capping a lot of honey although there is no brood.  I am going to steal the capped honey from this hive and put them back down to one box?

What is  your intent for the queenless hive?

> I am going to try anyway.  Then the other frames from the box I take I will feed back and then use the empty drawn frames for swarm traps?

I would either introduce a queen (probably in a push in cage) or shake them out in front of your other hives.

>Lastly.  I am picking the packages up in the morning.  It is suposed to be raining quite hard tomorrow.  Can I plug the entrance and install the packages in the barn?

I would install them in the rain.  Wait for a lull if you like, but some will fly and will orient where the are, which will, of course, be in the barn...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline harvey

• House Bee
Thanks Michael,  wish me luck!  I will install in the rain, easier for me I think.  The queenless hive if they make it that long I was going to put a frame with fresh eggs as soon as I get one from one of the new hives.  I don't have the resources to get a queen right now.