Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Treating Old Equipment Beekeepers gift.  (Read 1519 times)

Offline cbarton

• New Bee
Treating Old Equipment Beekeepers gift.
« on: September 02, 2006, 04:11:17 pm »
A friend who is moving and has given me 4 shallow supers w/ frames and drawn comb and 1 deep box with no frames, telescoping cover and 2 well worn inner covers.  The equipment was used regularly for about 12 years, but  sat in a basement for the past year or so.  I've read about using old equipment and plan to scorched the box interiors, to kill off any AFB spores,  but am not clear about how to treat the frames.  A couple of frames show evidence of wax moth so I plan to install new foundation in those frames.  The other 38 frames/foundation are in fair to good shape. I'd planned to put them into the freezer to kill off any remaining wax moth larvae. Should I treat the frames and covers for AFB in the same manner as the boxes?  

Finally all of the boxes and some of the frames have shallow well-worn irregular grooves about 1/8" wide and 3/4" long.  It looks like the work of the bees, but I don't know for sure.  Is it something I should worry about?

Thanks in advance for the advice
Craig B

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Treating Old Equipment Beekeepers gift.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 09:45:11 pm »
Frames can be difficult to scorch and still retain integritiy for rebuilding them, I would recommend boiling th frames as this will do the same thing as scorching but leave the wood intact.  Once they've dried they can then be rebuilt.  Remember to disassemble the boxes as the viruses that cause disease can hide in the joints where the heat from scorching won't reach.  Once the wood has been treated by boiling or scorching I wouldn't worry about any unusually groves.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!