Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New member  (Read 7728 times)

Offline Patricia H

• New Bee
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:30:55 am »
Hi, I'm Patricia and new to this site and I am baffled trying to figure out how to post something. I am from Hampton Bays, NY USA and will be just starting with beekeeping this year. I'm learning a lot from reading the posts which is just great. I hope I will be better with my bees than using this site.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:46:33 pm by Patricia H »

Offline wouldliketobee

• House Bee
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:33:29 am »
After you log on click "new topic"  ,type in subject, then post your question or statement. Hope this helps.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:21:08 am »
Welcome. Update your profile and put your location in. A lot of bee questions are location related. First year beek here as well. A lot of good info and people on this site.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:17:23 am »
Hi, I'm Patricia and new to this site and I am baffled trying to figure out how to post something. I am from Hampton Bays, NY USA and will be just starting with beekeeping this year. I'm learning a lot from reading the posts which is just great. I hope I will be better with my bees than using this site.  :-\

Welcome!  As a confirmed luddite, thechNOpeasant I'm with you.  I've found learning to maneuver and navigate around these kinds of places is harder than working my bees, often it is much more confusing.  I rarely visit during the summer months…too buzzzzy.  Happy reading……..Happy Beekeeping!
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:29:28 am »
As said above you have to be logged into your account to post. Choose the forum you wish to post in from the list ex. General beekeeping etc. Look to the right side of the screen and you will see tabs labeled: Mark Read- Notify- New Topic-Post New Poll. Choose New topic to post a new question. Choose notify to mark a post to follow and notify you on your e-mail.

If you wish to post on someones else's topic. Open the topic and choose the reply button. Oh yes after you finish typing in the white box at the bottom you will fine buttons Post- Preview- Spell Check. If you wish to preview the post select preview before post :) As you hang around you will figure out posting quotes, pictures etc.

Oh yea, Welcome to Beemaster. Hope this helped a little if you were not pulling my leg :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:30:14 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:52:23 am »
Welcome to the forum, Patricia.  You may want to find your local bee club also, they can bee a big help sometimes.  Good luck with your quest to become a great beek.

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 11:49:49 am »
Welcome to the forum Pat.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 12:56:44 pm »
Welcome to the forum Pat.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rjmeyer

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:00 pm »
Welcome Pat..check out longislandbeekeepers.org great club with several master beekeepers involved with it. Im in Amityville. .there are several beeks out your way.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 08:26:01 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 06:51:42 pm »
I see you are no longer hopelessly lost :)
John 3:16

Offline rjmeyer

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 07:52:59 pm »
Patricia, are you taking any beekeeping classes?

Offline crane

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 09:08:09 pm »
Welcome to the boards Patricia. You guys make really good ceiling fans up there!  ;)

Offline Patricia H

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 09:17:21 pm »
Hi,
Yes I am. I joined the LI Beekeepers Organization and will be taking a course under Ray Lackey from Bohemia. I went to my first meeting of the LI Beekeepers this past Sunday in Smithtown. Very nice people. Right now I'm making lists of what I want to purchase as far as hives and equipment It gets expensive. I have some nucs ordered through Ray Lackey so I'm ready to do it. I stayed on this site for 2 hrs last night getting all kinds of info such as plastic or wax foundation (I decided against the plastic), 8 frame or 10 frame setup, so I'm going with the 8. I'm trying to learn from what others are saying in their experiences. And I also learned how to reply on this forum tonight so I'm not quite hopelessly lost. :)

Offline rjmeyer

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 10:40:24 pm »
Patricia, are you taking Ray Lackeys season long course? I started with Ray and went with all his recomendations to date. I help him unload the nucs when they arrive i think its a blast. I was at last Sundays meeting as well, very interesting speaker on making money off your hives. Ray is a great teacher and you will be amazed at his knowledge of beekeeping. how many Nucs did you order?

Offline Patricia H

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 11:30:02 pm »
Yes I was at that meeting and got the new member greeting. I signed up for a crash course that was supposed to be all day Sat Feb. 8th but Ray just said tonight it's been cancelled because of not enough people. So I'm aiming for the same course in March in St. James. I would have liked the all season long one but I have scheduling conflicts. I ordered 2 nucs and am thinking of adding a 3rd. On the fence about that one. Glad you have good things to say about Ray and the courses. How many hives do you have?

Offline rjmeyer

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 07:21:17 am »
Pat..I have 7 hives at the moment..not knowing your background. .I would highly recommend the season long course if you could swing it..just fyi Rays nucs are usually strong..many beginners have swarming issues early on..I started with 2 nucs in April and had 5 hives by June..the season long course was indespensible to me..but maybe you can mentor up with someone close to you through the club..

Offline Patricia H

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 02:22:16 am »
I definitely will only get 2 nucs after what you've experienced. Wow. I hope the bees are still the same as when you bought yours. I really wish I could take the season long course but it's not possible for me. I don't like having to just take a crash course but I have no alternative. That's why I'm watching as many videos as I can right now and am reading books.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 04:09:52 am »
 dont sweet the small stuf-if you have the want -and it is true --the bees will teach you-- 8-) RDY-B

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 06:57:28 am »
Patricia, One of the things I've been doing (first year beek), in addition to what you've been doing, is I started with the most recent post and read the threads one at a time going back. Good luck!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.