Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What an awesome inspection!!  (Read 1285 times)

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
What an awesome inspection!!
« on: May 07, 2008, 01:28:23 pm »
Yesterday, went out to perform a routine inspection.  My strong hive (#4) needed another super....which was great.  I checked hive #3 (they have been queenless for a couple of weeks now) to see if they created queen cells from the brood/eggs I gave them last week.  No luck.  I closed it up, planning to ponder on it later.  I proceded to hive #2 (I suspected a would find a problem as this hive was installed from a nuc a couple of weeks ago and hasn't seemed to get much stronger) and realized they were without a queen and no new cells. I moved to hive #1 and realized, they swarmed (I saw found the makred queen 2 weeks ago) and I didn't catch it.  But this hive had several swarm cells and an emergency cell. 

I closed them all up and went inside to make a call to a local beek as I pondered my options.  An hour later I decided to share the extra queen cells with the other queenless hives and cross my fingers.  I suited back up and gave #3 a frame with 2 cells on it.  I began to do the same thing with #2, but realized that two of the cells in #1 opened in the meantime and the queens had begun destroying most of the other cells.  Luckily, I found 2 good cells and gave them to the other hive.  I then began looking for the queens in #1, since evidence of their recent emergence was apparent.  I found both queens (I definitely found one queen, the other I wasn't so sure...she wasn't a drone for sure, was larger than a worker, but didn't look like a strong queen?) on different frames.  Had I had a queen cage or h. cloth to make a cage out of, I would have captured one of them.  But it was also getting dark/late, the girls were very upset and I decided to let the queens duke it out.  I hope this wasn't a bad decision on my part, but seems like the more I intervene sometimes, the more mistakes I make, so I decided to leave well enough alone.

It was very interesting to see this occur within one hour as I KNOW all queen cells were fully capped and intact when I first found them.  Had I not been reading these forums, I would not have known the difference between cells that had been recently opened (little hinged openings on the bottom), and those that had been destroyed (openings on the side). 

Sorry for the long post, but just had to share this new experience.  I've made some mistakes this year, but am learning so much about managing hives (ie...don't let them swarm and inspect often) in the spring.

Wisk me luck!

Derrick
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
Re: What an awesome inspection!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 03:45:57 pm »
Very neat that you got to see the queens moments after they emerged.  It sucks that that hive swarmed, but it saved you having to buy 2 queensor wait a month or 2 trying to get your queenless hives to make one.  I bet those will be some really nice queens.  Everything I've read has said a swarm or supercedure queen is usually better than an emergency cell or grafted queen.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: What an awesome inspection!!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:12:41 pm »
You go!  Derrick - what a great experience!  BTW, if you want #8 hardware cloth to make a queen cage, the only place I could find it in Atlanta is at General Hardware on Peachtree in Brookhaven.  There's another branch of the same store in Tucker.

See you soon,

Linda T in Atlanta