Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee in central VA  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Newbee in central VA
« on: January 31, 2015, 10:21:32 am »
Good Morning, all!

Soon to be first time beekeeper - starting with two Langs and two TBHs, and two nucs and two packages to go with them.

Here to learn...
Glen

Offline thomas27c

• New Bee
  • good afternoon!
Re: Newbee in central VA
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:28:17 am »
welcome to the fourm! im a newbee too, and theres alot of people on here thats more than willing to guide you along the way. i definately recommend you going on ventrillo if you have a mic
positives need negatives to be opposite to, or else there is no measure of difference.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:20:40 pm »
Welcome, Im also in central Va. Im just going in to my third year and have learned alot of lessons here and elsewhere and of course, the hard way. Good move starting with 4. If there is anything at all I may be able to help you with locally, feel free to message me. Good luck. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 12:35:49 pm »
If you change your profile to include your town and state, we will be able to help you more.

I found local knowledge to be helpful. I have been a mentor for years but like most other mentors I will not do your work for you. I have stood by my charges and in their boxes with them but again, not doing their work. I mention this because I strongly advise you to find a beekeeping club near you and sign up for their mentoring program (if they have one.) Other then that, ask as many questions as you like, most likely we have asked the same question (or like ones) ourselves.

Good luck   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:08:32 pm »
Thanks all, for the welcome!

I've signed up for a Feb class that our county parks and rec puts on, plus I'll be at the MAOHBC in Richmond, March 28th. That's the one I'm looking forward to!

I've been planning since last Oct,  and I haven't been able to find squat as far as local associations, hopefully activity will pick up over the next month or two. Maybe I'll meet folks on the 28th, or be able to get some help from Mr. Tignor.

Anybody on here planning to attend?  http://maohbc.com/schedule/

Offline Steve Copeland

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 07:50:40 pm »
Welcome aboard from Sedgwick, Kansas
If at first you don't succeed, break out the checkbook again.  First hive started in 2012, left me in 2014. 2015.......Katie bar the door.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 03:10:05 pm »
I just looked up the brochure. Im not trying to scare you or anything, but from what little I read, and what little I know, that approach will take a long time with lots of losses to achieve. There are lots of Beekeepers who are treatment free, Michael Bush comes to mind, but, that being said, I think he would tell you it was a long road. My goal is to one day be treatment free. Doesnt happen overnight if you want bees in the spring is my guess. Maybe that conference will have local queen producers that will up the odds. I would be interested to know. Good Luck and enjoy. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 07:38:30 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, G. Like I said - I'm here to learn... and I dang sure don't have any experience!

I'm going in w/ my eyes open. If I have one hive come spring, then I guess it won't be a total failure.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 02:34:11 pm »
I think treating is more prone to problems than not treating.  If you look at all the myriad of questionnaires and surveys done by various local clubs, state clubs, Bee Informed etc. I think it's obvious that losses when treating are no different than losses when not treating and that is not taking into account doing anything other than treating or not...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoursimplesteps.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 05:30:04 pm »
Thank you Michael Bush - I read your website one weekend, then drifted over to the Cushman pages... I had to quit when my eyes started bleeding in there.

I'll be getting a copy of your book to have as a ready reference once the girls get here. I appreciate the wisdom you've brought together to share with others.

Regards,
Glen

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 12:19:02 am »
Welcome to our forum

when I started I just jumped right in.
bees got into insecticide and died
the next year was much better. this is now the second winter with nature. and all is well

do not force and issue do if you must but Bees know how to bee bees.
splits are necessary too keep control

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 08:12:53 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything