Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fedora 9 w/updates & Fedora 10beta wifi weirdness  (Read 3003 times)

Offline DennisD

• House Bee
  • Catchin' the latest buzz
Fedora 9 w/updates & Fedora 10beta wifi weirdness
« on: October 06, 2008, 02:12:05 pm »
Has anyone else noticed that while the fedora 9 hot off the iso has stable wifi usage, but after you initiate the updates and so called bug fixes wifi either crawls or is at a standstill? With a fresh off the iso install,  my laptop is receiving 100% signal quality, after updates wifi is down to 19% at best and network transfers are at a crawl or just come to a screeching halt. I've installed Fedora 10 beta thinking this is a driver issue that they were addressing in later distros, but NOPE! 10 Beta shows the same problem. Obviously a driver issue, who ever wrote their new wifi drivers must have been smoking the Berkley gonja. Of course, the issue is non-existent in a hardwire connection to the nic.

Needless to say, I am not using my laptop at the moment and I am using my file/print server (ubuntu distro) to surf. Don't even get me started on the nightmare with samba so my family can use my nix box print/file server with their winblows boxes.

I have googled the bajeebers out of the issue and perused nix forums like a maddog to no avail. Please tell me I don't actually have to WRITE a driver for this, and madwifi comes up majorly short as well.

Sure, I could reach for my ubuntu distro dvd and stick that on my laptop, but I am a beat my own head against a wall guy into crap works properly guy, I'd rather resolve the issue and then post to a nix forum and allow the search engines to spider it for reference for others with similar issues.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Fedora 9 w/updates & Fedora 10beta wifi weirdness
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 01:12:52 pm »
I use the mailing lists or the newsgroups. It sounds like a bug report may be a good idea.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline allend

• New Bee
Re: Fedora 9 w/updates & Fedora 10beta wifi weirdness
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:23:20 pm »
I run Fedora in a VirtualBox VM on an AMD and found the same thing.  I also notice a lot of resources being used when downloading updates.  The same O/S on an Intel box seems fine.