Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Want to split hive, but can't find queen.  (Read 9348 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Re: Want to split hive, but can't find queen.
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 06:32:51 pm »
It was nice that they would cooperate.......... I don't really expect them to do it again. Bees do what Bees do. :th_thumbsupup:

Call it lucky. Have fun.
Later,
Ray

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 12:53:41 pm »
My father in law helped his neighbor get into beekeeping. One day they called him into the back yard to show him a swarm from one of their hives that landed 60' up in a Toby tree. They asked him what can they do. His reply, "watch them". The next day they were all looking at them and they took off and went into my father in law's garage and moved into one of his supers that was stacked up in a pile. He took the super, put a top and a bottom on it and gave them back their swarm.
Talk about getting lucky.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 10:00:56 pm »
How to harvest queenless nurse bees without ever spotting the queen: 

Move the donor colony to the side, and put a bottom board and empty hive body down in its place. From the donor colony, put a couple of frames of brood into the center of the hive body, and then fill it out with drawn comb and honey.  Then place another empty box on top to act as a funnel.  Shake all the bees off the remaining combs into the “funnel.”  When you’re done shaking, gently brush the bees down off the sides of the funnel box, using very gentle smoke wafted above them to guide them.  The point of this is to make sure that you’ve gotten the queen into the bottom box.

Once you’ve got all the bees into the bottom box, then put a queen excluder over it, and stack the rest of the combs back over it.  The nurse bees will quickly move up through the excluder to cover the brood.  In an hour, it will be easy to harvest queenless nurse bees from the upper boxes, and the older bees will return to the lower box to take care of the queen and brood.  After harvesting the nurse bees, you can add the combs to other hives.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 11:36:19 pm »
Look up post by sc-bee. Got a queen excluder?

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,44082.0.html

Kinda like this Jim ;) Add some duct tape a few inches above the bottom of the shaker box. They don't like to climb the tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3mKPm0MC2w
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:46:57 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

anything