Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oleander  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Jeffrey Tooker

• New Bee
Oleander
« on: August 09, 2006, 10:46:31 pm »
I have question about Oleander. I am in Northern California.  In the small community I live in there are about 15 Oleanders. The Oleander is a poisonus plant. Will this have an effect on the honey? I know that in the state Oleanders are common enough and must get into the honey produced.
Jeffrey Tooker
Paynes Creek Ca.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Oleander
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 02:53:21 am »
Just because a portion of a plant is poisonous does not mean that all of it is.  Rhubard is a good example the stock is delicious yet the leaves hold enough oxalic acid to be toxic.  Some other examples are Rhododendrons and jassamine.  Both are considered to have poisonous honey yet the bees harvest it and mix it with the rest of the nectar.  The proportion of toxic to safe honey is so low that the toxic affects are no longer a factor.

In my area Rhododendrons and their close relative Madrona are abundant and I've never had a problem with toxicity in honey.

See ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture pages 262 & 263.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jeffrey Tooker

• New Bee
Oleander
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 01:48:31 am »
<<<[ The proportion of toxic to safe honey is so low that the toxic affects are no longer a factor>>>

That takes care of another problem.

Thank you.
Jeffrey Tooker
Paynes Creek Ca.

anything