Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: first year keeper in central jersey  (Read 2490 times)

Offline rache

• New Bee
first year keeper in central jersey
« on: June 19, 2006, 08:17:10 pm »
hi everyone.  despite my vigorous declarations to my husband that i would not be joining any online beekeeping forums (having spent a couple of years on a parenting board, listening to people accuse each other of being the worst parents ever, and ruining their children with everything from their politics to their brand of shoes to their big macs) i've decided to register here, since everyone seems pretty laid back and knowledgeable.  

but seriously, dudes, lay off my big macs.

i'm a first-year beekeeper with one hive, and about a thousand pieces of wood in boxes, ready to become a second hive next year.  i took the rutgers short course back in april, and got my package of bees about five weeks ago.  this past friday i put on a SBB and the second hive body, and i've been chewing my nails down to the bone waiting for the weekend so i can open it and see if they've moved up.  so far everything has progressed like they told me it should, and i'm really enjoying the whole process - as are my husband and kids, who were fairly ambivalent about the whole idea while i was at "bee college", as they call it, but climbed on board as soon as the actual bees arrived.  

i take this less as a sign that i'm not a freak, than that i am raising a family of freaks.  yay bees!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 09:00:54 pm »
Yes we are all very laid back here. There is a reason for it.
We are armed, dangerous, well rested , and off our medication.
Many of us are decendants of disgruntal postal workers.

We have special buglar alarms. If thieves break into our house 50,000 angry bees drop on them. It is a better than a rabid pit bull with aids.

If the Jehova Witness come by knocking on our door early in the weekend morning they risk waking up the bears that are frustrated because they get no honey. A JW missionary can be a tasty substitue to a grizzly bear. Watchtower provides the bear with extra fiber.

Bees also have taught us a lot of patience. We cannot rush honey flows, unless we go to the store and buy 25 lbs bags of sugar.

Many of us have incredible tolerence and understanding of others as long as it has nothing to do with NASCAR, Basketball, Baseball, Football, or Soccer(Futbol). In which case any difference of opinions will result in a questioning of your eligibality to maintain a Mensa membership.

So welcome aboard, we are really quite dull and boring, please try not to fall asleep reading our forums unless you have insomnia.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 10:41:55 pm »
The definition of a hobby beekeeper is someone who has boxes of bees in their back yard into which they keep pouring money hoping to get honey.
The difference is that honey sticks to everything and money doesn't ever stick around long enough to make more.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 12:03:17 am »
Welcome to the show, rache, I am sure you will fit in just fine....
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 05:07:06 pm »
Greetings from a jersey native.Missed out on Bee school, hope to attend in fall. Good luck!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

anything