Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: orientation flights on Christmas day?  (Read 2420 times)

Offline phill

• House Bee
orientation flights on Christmas day?
« on: December 29, 2014, 11:37:36 am »
We've had unseasonably warm weather here in New England. On Dec 25th and especially 26th, there was enormous activity outside my hives. I would have worried about robbing or even swarming, except that the bees seemed fairly calm-- just very energetic.

They've been closed up for the winter, with virtually no flights, for a month now. Were these all cleansing flights, or are there some bees just now doing orientation flights? Just curious.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: orientation flights on Christmas day?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 11:48:13 am »
Phill,
For your area, probably mostly cleansing flight but your scouts are probably out looking for anything they can find. I doubt they will find much.
Here in north FL, my bees are out bringing in an almost white pollen and probably some nectar and water.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 06:31:44 pm »
Al says to feed this time of year down here. seams like ours are growing here. almost went shirtless today

driveing around I see many plants flowering everywhere

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 09:46:04 pm »
Jay,
My Observation hive now has a softball sized capped brood area with wet brood around it. On December 20, there was no brood showing in the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline phill

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 11:10:44 pm »
Jim,
The scouts were definitely out-- finding nothing, I'm sure-- but most of the action was right around the hive. This was something I've never seen before, and don't expect to see again, around here in late December.
Phil

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 12:50:13 am »
Jim,
The scouts were definitely out-- finding nothing, I'm sure-- but most of the action was right around the hive. This was something I've never seen before, and don't expect to see again, around here in late December.
Phil
Phill,
Your bees were probably orienting to the hive location as well as cleansing.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 10:03:58 am »
Jim
Now I am a newb but this year seams different than the last two

the size of yours is so cool havent gone in for quite a while, wife says leave them bee

at the christmass party Al says bees do know how to bee bees

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 01:35:20 am »
Phill,
For your area, probably mostly cleansing flight but your scouts are probably out looking for anything they can find. I doubt they will find much.
Here in north FL, my bees are out bringing in an almost white pollen and probably some nectar and water.
Jim

Jealous........ :-x G
     We are getting some flying on nice days, I long for exhaling...... still alot of cold to come and beat here. Good for you Jim. G :chop:
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 12:15:00 am »
G,
My bees are in build up mode. That is great as long as they are able to keep bringing in pollen and nectar. Our worst weather is yet to come. I am keeping a close eye on what my OH is doing. The bottom frame is full of brood. I was expecting them to start having brood but not more than a gulf ball size area this time of year.
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything