Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top Bar Hive Illegal in Ohio? No.  (Read 4647 times)

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
Top Bar Hive Illegal in Ohio? No.
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:39:17 am »
Just to clear up some confusion, on the thread "My First Apiary" there was a concern/thought that a Top Bar Hive was against the law at least in Ohio. I emailed my local inspector and they didn't think so. For everyone's benefit who may have the same misinformation, here is an email directly from the Ohio State inspector:

Jeremy,

No top bar hives are not illegal in Ohio. Care has to be taken during manipulation as the new combs are delicate and may fall off the top bar.

Andrew Kartal
Apiary Inspector

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Re: Top Bar Hive Illegal in Ohio? No.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 11:10:03 am »
Glad you're legal! This brings up another question--How do you all find out if you need to register hives or not in your state, and what the laws are concerning beekeeping in your state? I realize it's a bit of a late date for me to be asking this question, seeing as I've had 2 hives now for a month... :-P
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 02:16:24 pm »
I did a google for Ohio Department of Agriculture Apiary, it happened to be the first link that took me to where I can search/find the laws. I did a search just now for Wisconsin Department of Agriculture Apiary and it came up with a few links as well, the first one being: Wisconsin Department of Agriculture - Apiary.

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 04:20:09 pm »
Thanks much! I'm off to find out if I'm legal and legit  :-D
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 05:02:33 pm »
I found out through my bee club, the president there is our county inspector as well but he said registering your hives is optional.
I have found most of the members in my club didn't bother to register their hives.

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 07:38:12 pm »
Here in Ohio it's mandatory to register your hives. You can sign a form and deny permission for inspections, however. I am unsure what has to happen if you sell honey, it may be totally different.

Jeremy

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 08:01:52 pm »
Correct me if I am wrong.
Federal law allows anything that has movable/removable frames so the hive can be properly inspected.
Sate laws may differ.
doak :)