Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anybody hear of "Pigweed"?  (Read 5201 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Anybody hear of "Pigweed"?
« on: November 15, 2007, 10:59:22 pm »
I have a weed called pigweed and over the last couple of years its covered most of my land where I have to mow. It looks harmless at first but after it dries out it gets stickers and tons of them. Theyre evenm in my carpet too!(5 BIG dogs and people coming and going).
 These little stickers stick first in the cracks on the bottom of ones shoes and from there they get in the carpet and furniture.
 Anybody know of a way to get rid of these suckers?
your friend,
john :-\

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Anybody hear of "Pigweed"?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 12:28:41 am »
I have some links for ya. I think we have the spiney stuff here in florida.
here is what we have;
http://www.utextension.utk.edu/fieldcrops/weeds/pigweed.htm

general info;
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/crpsl2/s80.pdf

for control of;
http://www.utextension.utk.edu/fieldcrops/weeds/pigweed.htm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:06:41 am »
John, sounds like you have a horrible weed happenin' there.  I looked at the sites and there are so many species.  Oh brother....I think that you may have to become radical with some work with herbicides.  I am not for herbicides, but then there are times that we must eradicate weeds or lose our crops to weeds.  Which is the worse of the two evils.  Do some research for sure, it can't take over your property like that, what will you grow for yourselves or the bees?  Off topic, but what kind of dogs do you have, 5 big ones, that is cool.  Have a wonderful day, greatest of health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 10:47:25 am »
Ah, the problem with common names.  Is this what you're calling pigweed]?  It's what we call pigweed around here, and the seeds aren't burrs like you're describing.   Our pigweed is a form of Amaranth, a grain, and it's indicative of fertile soil.  I hoe it out of the garden every year.

Here is a search on 'burrs' - which one of these are the burrs you're seeing?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 11:09:58 am »
Ann, burrs, I hate burrs.  We have the burrs on our property, I believe they are called the Lesser Burdock.  They are nasty, stick to everything.  When we had horses, the mess that these burrs would make in the forelocks and tails of our poor horses would make ya jump for happiness.  Have a wonderful day and beautiful life.  Cindi

Some people have this pigweed so bad that they cannot hoe it out of their property, that is a horrible tough one, I can't see any other way to rid it unless the use of herbicide.  Pre-emergence types would probably have to be used.  Eeeks, horrible, eh.  C
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:55:39 pm »
Yeh, Rienbeau, It is an amaranth!
Thoses are the kind of stickers I have everywhere!
ine mostly resemble the prostrate amaranthus. I'll have to look at PD's links to see about getting rid of it..I suppose I could burn it but I mite start a "Range Fire". I'm kinda thinking I mite have to wait till spring to kill it as thats probably when the seeds hatch into plants.Also, Im pretty sure I have fertile land because of all the pigeon poo I chuck out everywhere. I have white racing pigeons. I dont race them anymore but I do feed them and you know what that means!
 Cindi, You brought up one of my favorite subjects....My DOGS!!
Yayyy!!...I have 1 Rott, one Larott(mix between rot and choco. lab..I made that name up) 2 Collies, just like Lassie, and 1 Walker coonhound. I brought the Rott. and Collies home, The other 2 dogs are dogs that  liked my place better than their home(coonhound was my nabor Pauls dog)and Loki, the Larott that came from a girl that works in my building. She went TDY so much that I just told her she should leave the dog with me and she agreed. I never wanted a Rottweiler or Pit Bull as they dont reflect my personality(at least not anymore) and also the fact that i thought they were mean. Anyways about 5 years ago a starved Rott came to my house. He only weighed 35 or 40 lbs, had a gash in his neck and bad gashes on his front legs, and also had a shrunken leg...Apparently a previous owner had a vet fix this dogs broken leg with a steel rod then never went back to have it taken out so the leg was the sixe of a 6 months old Rott.1000$ later we decided to keep him....Buck turned out to be the best dog ever!..I dont have time to go into detail about why we had to put him to sleep along with 2 other dogs(all on a Sunday), But Now we have our 2nd Rott, Tank!...I really love my dogs! I guess thats also why I have the pigweed in the house as it sticks to the dogs fur.
  I have a ferret too! The Collies play with her.Then theres 4 aquariums(freshwater). My bees are the newest pets now.
I wish I could show you pics but my comp speed is only 28.8 and slower. My computer cuts off due to the long wait for me putting out the pics. I cant get highspeed as I live in the country and ATT wont come out this far. I tried Clearwire until houses got built up the road and that blocked my signal.
Ok,....Thanks you guys for the weed info. Now I need to go do more homework on it.
 Oh yeh,...Cindi....You sure seem like a nice person the way you say nice things to people at the end of your letters...Your words really DO make people feel good. I think God gave you a gift for making it a point to bless people the way you do!
Ok, gotta go for awhile!
yalls friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 01:15:51 pm »
John, you have said some kind words and they shine through, thank you.  The thought that I can make the day of another human more happy enlightens my life.  It brings me joy.....

I am a dog lover, our dogs are my pride and joy, I love each personality that they have, they are all unique.  I have always had dogs as long as I can remember, and will always have dogs, as long as I can tend to their needs.

John, you did a great and wonderful deed by taking in and healing the poor dog with the bad leg, I take my hat off to you.  I feel for all the dogs that do not have a great home, that is sad.  But to hear of people that do whatever they can to make a dog love a life is a great and wonderful thing, keep on keepin' on.  You have some interesting breeds there at your place, for surely.

Dogs will always make you happy (well, I guess now and then they can downright annoy the blazes out of you too.  Like my poor deceased Keesha, who would dig holes all over my gardens to lay in and keep cool.  Even though I had given her several garden beds that were hers to lay in as much as she wanted, I guess she was greedy and still wanted more, hee, hee, gonna miss that girl.  Have a wonderful and great day, greatest health wishes to us all. Cindi

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 09:00:30 pm »
pasture and non crop land   Grazon
to bee or not to bee

anything