Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Broken/frames on their last leg in hive... question  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
Broken/frames on their last leg in hive... question
« on: April 16, 2017, 03:22:34 pm »
We got a nuc yesterday.  Set the next to the front of thhee hive the rest of yesterday to settle down.

This morning we opened up the nuc and put it in the hive, all went well.  Question is, most of the frames from this nuc need replaced, they are on their last leg...   when can you take frames out of the brood box and replace them with new frames?

My thought was when the hive is ready for a second brood box, put the old frames in the top brood box and add new ones to the bottom...  then when winter comes and the hive just needs one hive body take off the top box with the old frames in it....  then the frames are out of the hive...

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Broken/frames on their last leg in hive... question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 04:13:12 pm »
if you want to replace frames place new frames above.(preferable draw frames) Hives move up. they will not put brood over honey so wait till they have filled some of the frames with honey then you can switch the positions of frames with honey with frames with brood by moving them up. all this saying is their is several ways to do it. just depends on the time frame you want aor have. I prefer just placing new box under and moving frames with honey down and brood frames over top of the honey frames. takes them about a week or two to move stuff around.

john

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 01:26:02 pm »
I recommend you move keep moving the frames towards the brood and then to the 2 out side frames. The bees will usually end up filling them with honey or leave them empty. Then you can remove them.
I think it is really rotten that bee breeders think that selling their defective frames in nucs is a good idea. My first hive had a really old frame that was missing most of frame holder. On one of my early inspections, that frame dropped out of box next to my right foot and I received a dozen stings to my right ankle area. Shame on them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CrazyTalk

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:15:16 pm »
I recommend you move keep moving the frames towards the brood and then to the 2 out side frames. The bees will usually end up filling them with honey or leave them empty. Then you can remove them.
I think it is really rotten that bee breeders think that selling their defective frames in nucs is a good idea. My first hive had a really old frame that was missing most of frame holder. On one of my early inspections, that frame dropped out of box next to my right foot and I received a dozen stings to my right ankle area. Shame on them.
Jim
It's even more frustrating that a lot of nuc breeders seem to want you to give them frames in exchange, or charge you extra if you don't have a frame exchange.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:23:04 am »
I'm sure I have frames that are 40 years old.  What do you mean by "on their last leg"?  They can be repaired.  The "last leg" to me would be when some wax moths have chewed so far through the wood that it is falling apart.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:13:06 am »
I mean last leg like the hangers are broken off the frame, but nailed or stapled back onto the frame to "work".

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 02:05:41 pm »

It's even more frustrating that a lot of nuc breeders seem to want you to give them frames in exchange, or charge you extra if you don't have a frame exchange.
[/quote]

I am more concerned with what is in the frame and no matter who I get a nuc from I would trash these frames the following year.  The nuc is maybe $150 and you are only talking 5-10 dollars for five frames.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 06:33:25 pm »

I am more concerned with what is in the frame and no matter who I get a nuc from I would trash these frames the following year.  The nuc is maybe $150 and you are only talking 5-10 dollars for five frames.
[/quote]

Nucs go for 190 to 265 around me...  wish they were cheaper.  250-260 is the norm

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 09:06:28 pm »
Well OK if you are paying 250 then what is 10 dollars.  I don't think I would pay 250 for a nuc unless some guarantee came with it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 01:34:44 pm »
A nail into the end of the top bar can replace a missing lug.  Or Kelley sells (or at least used to) a sheet metal piece to replace the missing lug.  I use them until they fall apart and then I try to put them back together...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 05:48:58 am »
Jim
They gave me 2 of the 8 frames that didn't sit down on the rabbets, they are too long but the cover fits fine.
I didn't see it until I got home
I might put a 1/32 cutting wheel in my grinder and nip off 1/8" or 3/16.........or I could cut out that comb and use elastic to hold it in place until they reattach it by themselves.
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 09:47:08 am »
I'm sure I have frames that are 40 years old.  What do you mean by "on their last leg"?  They can be repaired.  The "last leg" to me would be when some wax moths have chewed so far through the wood that it is falling apart.
I have had more issues with rodents than wax moths but I did have an infestation of moths last summer that was a pain to clean up and did do some damage. I have a frame that has the point on the edge of an endbar and about have way through the top bar that was gnawed by rodents. That said wooden ware is cheap if you make it yourself out of rough cut lumber from the local sawmill.

My wife's fe-lion regularly brings rodents in the dog door and leaves guts in our house but the other day when I was cleaning up hives that didn't survive the winter the cat let some mice get away. A lady I work with is on the board of the Humane Society where we got the cat. Last summer I set her a mail message saying we wanted our money back because the cat brought in a chipmunk and let it go in our living room. I said that usually she would just leave guts on the floor and it wasn't exactly what we wanted but it was workable. Bringing in rodents and letting them go was unacceptable. The response I got was "You don't need your money back... You need another cat. Clearly that one is overworked!" Maybe I need another cat. Before I was married I saw a mouse in my house and put out glue traps. I caught 7 the next night. Maybe I should put glue traps around my hives. The only problem with that was after my wive moved in and brought her cat all the sudden the cat stuck its paw under the refrigerator, got it stuck on a glue trap and pulled it out with breakfast on a platter. The last thing I want is a cat stuck on a glue trap.

I have the added issue of ants chewing through hive bodies. I need to fix that with a water barrier around my hive stands. Maybe I could build a beehouse and use AZ hives and put ant/rodent traps in the beehouse around the hives where the cat can't get them. Might also make it nicer to work with the bees in the shade. I just can't seem to find any AZ hive plans that I understand. I think I actually need to see one to figure it out. The pictures online don't make sense.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin