Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Follower Boards  (Read 15845 times)

Offline JRH

• New Bee
Re: Follower Boards
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 06:13:38 pm »
I use 1" Styrofoam as an insulating inner layer in my telescoping outer covers, too.  To prevent chewing, I now laminate a layer of coroplast (the political lawn sign material) on the side facing the bees above the inner cover.  That stops the chewing.

In the winter I am not so sure the bees would be over against the side of the hive.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:25:23 pm by JRH »

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: Follower Boards
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 08:19:39 am »
Agreed;  with only the slightest access bees will chew up styro.  When I first began using followers I just converted (blocked) the two outside frames, which was kind of a pain.  I've also converted 10 frame supers to 8 frame simply by adding 1 inch styro with 1/8 Luann glued and facing toward inside.  This works well but is/was permanent because I glued it in place, but bees cannot get to styro.  There is NO access to the other side with this modification.  I like movable followers for NUCs or small colonies slow to build up.  I'm thinking I may experiment with styro in the middle and Luann on both sides which would allow follower to move and provide insulation and also allow for a more substantial top bar.  Just some thoughts on follower boards, I love them and will continue to use them.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

anything