Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Colored bee suits ?  (Read 7416 times)

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
Colored bee suits ?
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:28:13 pm »
To get my wife more onboard with bee keeping i was thinking about buying her a Pink bee suit.  They have some on ebay kinda cheap.  Would the bees react any differnt to this ? Its more "stylish"  :roll: Than the older tradishinal ones.

So i would make a hobcobbeld cheapo hobo suit and she could have a brand new pink one. ( at least she would bee ok with bees !)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Colored bee suits ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 10:36:45 pm »
I think bees would pay no difference between pink, white, or a black bee suit.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 10:40:11 pm »
To get my wife more onboard with bee keeping i was thinking about buying her a Pink bee suit.  They have some on ebay kinda cheap.  Would the bees react any differnt to this ? Its more "stylish"  :roll: Than the older tradishinal ones.

So i would make a hobcobbeld cheapo hobo suit and she could have a brand new pink one. ( at least she would bee ok with bees !)

Funny post as I always wanted a pink bee suit. I am thinking of dying my white one pink. But I want one with more lace and style :-D

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:49:28 pm »
Well then i guess if she wants one ill have to get one. :-P

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 01:47:39 am »
Annette,

I think a pink bee suit would look nice with a matching parasol!

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 04:20:44 pm »
I've seen some pictures from over in England, pink beesuits appear to be popular over there.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 04:56:16 pm »
Annette,

I think a pink bee suit would look nice with a matching parasol!

Yes indeed :-D :-D

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 07:29:42 pm »
What about grey ??

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:24:11 pm »
I have an old white one that is half grey and half brown.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 10:11:35 pm »
I have a white one with small uneven brown polka dots and a few stripes here and there!

LT

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 11:21:17 pm »
Well mine should be fine it has a base of grey with some white,green,brown spary all over it. (used to be a paint coveralls)

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 11:36:58 pm »
I do not have any direct experience with black suits but have been told by club members and have read in several bee books that one should avoid black as the bees are more aggressive to the color. Some think it might be an instinctive idea of bears attacking their home. I guess these people are Bee Whisperers in addition to being scholars. I would have purchased a pink one for my daughter had I knew they existed.
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 11:57:07 pm »
Yea no black furry suits for me !  :lol:

The cover alls i have are light grey so i should be good ? i might also trystripping the color with some rid dye removal.
If it ruins the fabric oh well im out only the dye cost.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 06:28:36 pm »
You can read all day about black and bees.   I was brought up taught that.   But after watching enough cutout videos here I don't think that anymore and do not even change my black work shirt when I work my bees.   

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 12:09:13 am »
Suit, what suit? I do cutouts sans veil or gloves and my work uniform is black. I came up hearing the white only thing. My beek mentor wore the full deal right down to thick cow hide gloves and I thought that was the only way to go. Made my first "suit" out of a cast off prison jacket (complete with Alabama Dept of Corrections on the back) and wore the thickest white painters pants I could find. First to go was the gloves as I hate gloves for anything then the jacket went after the sheriff's deputy had a few questions for the "escapee" working his bees. Pretty much lost the veil when I took to training technicians as I almost always had to loan out the jacket plus I always waded in to demonstrate that bees are not to be feared.
I still use common sense and keep the gloves and veil in arms reach but don't feel the need for them.
Of course I recommend all newcomers and anyone who really feels the need to always suit up. My two year old has her own full suit and gloves and I reqire her to wear it. As for color, go with what you like but light colors just seem right to me plus being cooler. If I had to buy one though I like the camo full suit.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com