Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First cutout  (Read 2339 times)

Offline WLF1961

• New Bee
First cutout
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:28:42 pm »
Well thanks to this forum and all you experienced folks that post a lot about your cutouts I was able to attempt my first one today. It was pretty cool. I found the queen and caught her with the queen catcher and in the box she went. Now I have a couple of questions please. Do ya'll keep all the odd shaped comb and just try to make it fit the best you can in the box? If so seems it is almost impossible to fill 9 or 10 frames and make them fit in the box. Think I might have tried to fit too much in there and crowed them. Also now that they are in a box hive will they keep the comb like that or will they eventually straighten it out to more uniform comb? I plan to give them a little sugar and screen the entrance for at least a day then open them up. What do ya'll think? Thanks for any advice and helping some of us not so experienced folks learn. Wayne

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: First cutout
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:57:42 pm »
If I use any at all, I only use the larger pieces with brood. I rubber band them in wood frames. I then fill out the rest of the box with either drawn comb or frames with foundation.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:12:20 pm »
Same here, I only use the larger pieces with brood.  Not sure I would keep them screened though.  If you have the queen and brood, chances are pretty good they ain't going anywhere.  Keeping them screened will add more stress.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline WLF1961

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 12:21:47 am »
OK, so I went back to the hive and took out some of the big odd pieces and replaced it with foundation, removed the screen and put an entrance reducer and gave em some sugar. Does that sound good? What do ya'll do with all the extra comb. I gotta 5 gal bucket running over left over, a lot of it was dark and empty but in good shape. Thanks

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:04:25 am »
you can melt it down and save it.  keep some for swarm traps.  eat the honey if there is any  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:31:31 am »
yay for extra wax! It's always good for something!!
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

anything