Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rain Barrels  (Read 16777 times)

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Re: Rain Barrels
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 09:23:23 pm »
I guess you're only a slave if you choose to obey, but then there are consequences where there weren't before.

Don,t understand ????
I think it was Henry David Thoreau, he lived in the 1800s and was a big hero to the hippie crowd ( the Walden pond essays), but he had some good points. He said - in a nutshell - that you don't have to obey an unjust law I think he even said you are obligated to disobey an unjust law. (but there are still consequences; like an unjust law will still be enforced and some kind of punishment dealt out.)
be happy and make others happy.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 10:06:48 pm »
I guess you're only a slave if you choose to obey, but then there are consequences where there weren't before.

Don,t understand ????
I think it was Henry David Thoreau, he lived in the 1800s and was a big hero to the hippie crowd ( the Walden pond essays), but he had some good points. He said - in a nutshell - that you don't have to obey an unjust law I think he even said you are obligated to disobey an unjust law. (but there are still consequences; like an unjust law will still be enforced and some kind of punishment dealt out.)
In this day and age we have many, many unjust laws, but I am not fool enough to ignore them, but I definently disagree with them.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 12:31:27 am »
One of the things Judges never tell a jury is that they can find the law under which someone is being prosecuted illogical and unenforcable, or unconstitutional.
When this country was founded juries could declare a law void and the culpret innocent, it was meant to be a balance against unjust or ill-conceived legislation.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline giant pumpkin peep

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 11:26:20 pm »
I have a 350 gallon tank for my patch. I bought it from another grower. you might to check, but I beleive its illeagal to collect rain water in colorado. A  lot of growers there have said that. Or you could just hide you tank.  :devilbanana: Find farmers, and I think my tank was once used for mulch die. my dad who is a chemical engineer says the mulch die is harmless. Don't waste your money on the 50 gallon tanks that cost way too much. I think I paid 80 bucks for my tank. Might want to check craigslist. I have found 50 gallon rain barrels for 10-20 dollers. you could get 5 or so and daisy chain them together. Hope I helped
I like pumpkins!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 11:09:17 am »
The area where we will make an eventual move to is quite dry.  People collect rainwater.  I don't think it is illegal. 

A couple of years ago, when I had huge aspirations of becoming a beeekeeper that would get hundreds upon thousands (well, maybe exaggerating a little here) I purchased a huge stainless steel honey tank, with of course a 2" honeygate.  I was going to fill that honey tank, but just never got around to doing it, hee, hee.  It will accompany us on our move and will be a holder of great amounts of water.  I wish that I knew how many gallons it holds -- it is a pretty big tank.  I would imagine that there is some mathematical equation like measuring depth circumference and then multiplying something with something that would give the volume.  Maybe one day I will entertain that work and figure it out.  I would have to write it somewhere so I don't forget and have to do that work again.  Oh, maybe just a piece of tape on the outside of the tank with the information -- oh I am so smart, hee, hee, I think of such cool things, hee, hee.  Silly me.  Have that great, most wonderful day, to love and live our beautiful lives, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 11:43:46 am »
The area where we will make an eventual move to is quite dry.  People collect rainwater.  I don't think it is illegal. 

a couple of years ago, when I had huge aspirations of becoming a beeekeeper that would get hundreds upon thousands (well, maybe exaggerating a little here) I purchased a huge stainless steel honey tank, with of course a 2" honeygate.  I was going to fill that honey tank, but just never got around to doing it, hee, hee.  It will accompany us on our move and will be a holder of great amounts of water.  I wish that I knew how many gallons it holds -- it is a pretty big tank.  I would imagine that there is some mathematical equation like measuring depth circumference and then multiplying something with something that would give the volume.  Maybe one day I will entertain that work and figure it out.  I would have to write it somewhere so I don't forget and have to do that work again.  Oh, maybe just a piece of tape on the outside of the tank with the information -- oh I am so smart, hee, hee, I think of such cool things, hee, hee.  Silly me.  Have that great, most wonderful day, to love and live our beautiful lives, great health.  Cindi

To get your quantity in gallons , multiply 3.14 times the radius squared, times the height, to get your cubic feet (using feet, or fractions of feet for radius, and height) then divide your cubic feet by 7.5 to get your capacity in gallons.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 11:58:15 am »
i have been reading this thread and thought i'd check craigs list just for fun.  not only are there tons of barrels and buckets, but there are suggestions on how to collect rain water.

apparently the SR of O has a rebate for disconnecting your downspouts and collecting rain water.  i am guessing it's because they forced thousands to hook up to an already inadequate sewer system. when it rains, raw sewage dumps into the Columbia river and they were getting fined every time it happened.  i hear the fines are now being waved....

anyway...looks like craigs list is a good source.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 10:41:39 am »
Lakeman, thank you for the information, now I have an agenda, yay!!  Have that most beautiful and awesome day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything