Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Humming Birds  (Read 4047 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Humming Birds
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:03:19 pm »
Do these little fellows get off the nest sometime too early, before their wings are fully developed?
I found one at the base of a bush I was going to whack down.
I have it in a Styrofoam box with a feeder and it is sitting on the rail and feeds now and then.
What say ye? :) :)doak

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Humming Birds
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:15:35 pm »
Is it feathered out?  It may have fallen from the wind, or an animal shaking the branch or fighting with the nest mate.  I bet it's cute.  Does it make little begging sounds & movements?  If so you may be able to put the box out close to where you found it & the mom might still feed it.  I've raised all sorts of baby birds but never a hummer!  Take a pic!  I bet it is sooo cute!
Good luck!
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:20:00 pm »
Remember to refill the feeder daily. Those things can go bad pretty quick.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 11:32:12 pm »
Yes, it is feathered out.
And yes, we fill the feeders daily, the juice disappears :roll: :)doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 11:11:18 am »
Oh Doak, how sweet is that, the hummingbirds are the most beautiful little creatures.  They love my Nicotianna bushes (they are so big I have to call them bushes). They sit on my clothesline and take rests, and then head back to the beautiful white flowers that are clearly full of nectar.  That is cool what you are saving there, its little life depends upon you, lovely.  Have that most beautiful, wonderful day, to love and live with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:54:29 pm »
Its is fascinating to watch them little birds as they move like a fighter jet and how aggressive they are when another invades its territory. They share their feeder with some of the girls most of the summer. I had to fill way more often when the bees shared. Its all good.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 12:49:12 am »
Looks like the migration season is about over here in Ga.
Just about on time too. Clean the feeders up and pack them away till next spring.
Still have to buy some sugar for winter bee feeding. :roll: :)doak

anything