Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello, I'm new  (Read 3612 times)

Offline tucsonbeegal

• New Bee
Hello, I'm new
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:58:11 pm »
Hello I am Tucsonbeegal
Last night we brought home two nukes of girls to begin our beekeeping adventure.  I used to keep bees 15 years ago in NY state so this desert environment is new to me.  I may have lots of questions about how to deal with the heat.  My husband is new to beekeeping and we have two other people who are in this venture with us.
Thanks

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
Re: Hello, I'm new
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 02:14:46 pm »
welcome to the forum and if you have questions I am sure you can find the answer here

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:50:49 am »
Tucsonbeegel.  Welcome to our forum, great that you have rekindled that interest in bees.  Yes, keeping bees in each part of the world is different.  There are many forum members here that will give you advice on how to keep bees in the heat, some live in very hot places.  Lean on us for the answers to your questions, these answers will come.  You will make many new friends here too.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline tucsonbeegal

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 01:42:06 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  I look forward to learning what I can from those with more experience.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:08:33 pm »
I live in an extremely hot and dry place called Placerville. We can get into the 100's many times a summer. The main concern with the heat, is proper ventilation. I use screened bottom boards which are always open and I have a fabulous top inner cover that gives great ventilation from the top. I believe ventilation on the top is the main concern. Many beekeepers here have different ways of giving the top ventilation. You will get lots of input from them.

Stay in touch as you go along and you will get the help you need.

Annette

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 08:33:56 pm »
 Hi, and welcome to the forums!
 My wife is from Plattsburgh NY. Yep,..Its quite a change in climate 'eh?
At least you wont have to shovel snow anymore! (famous last words...)

your friend,
john

Offline tucsonbeegal

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 08:35:24 pm »
Thank you for the ventilation tip.  Right now the bees have lots of air flow and when we hive them I will be sure to continue that.  Any ideas as to how to keep the bees from the pool?  I put a shallow basin with rocks in it for them, but they seem to love the pool.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:29:40 pm »
Beegal, do a search...there's been  tons of really good posts about this issue. I'd tell you but I have CRS...hehe

Can't remember..ah...poo
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 09:48:08 pm »
welcome th the group tucsonbeegal,
 there alot of great information here
Johnny

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 04:36:06 pm »
Thank you for the ventilation tip.  Right now the bees have lots of air flow and when we hive them I will be sure to continue that.  Any ideas as to how to keep the bees from the pool?  I put a shallow basin with rocks in it for them, but they seem to love the pool.

You have to lure them away from the pool by some means. Sprinkle lemongrass oil around the basin and pour a little bit of honey into the water. Hopefully that will do it.