Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: For 30 seconds I thought I might get to do a cutout  (Read 1784 times)

Offline uglyfrozenfish

• House Bee
For 30 seconds I thought I might get to do a cutout
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:39:18 pm »
Woke up the other morning and looked out the kitchen window before having my coffee.  I saw a ton of activity by my breesway door, and thought cool and crap (didn't really want to do a cutout on my own house).  Then I realized they were just stinkin wasps.  Gonna kill them tonight.   

Thought it was funny.  Hope ya'll do to.   Love all your vids and pics.

Lee

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
Re: For 30 seconds I thought I might get to do a cutout
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 02:48:50 pm »
I seem to have more wasps than ever this year too.  All through my lawn and the four-o'clocks growing around my yard.  I wish I knew how to deal with them without harming the bees.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 03:02:10 pm »
I got a call from a neighbor about 2 miles away and she was all excited because she thought a swarm of honey bees had moved under her deck.  There is a large feral hive in a tree about 500 feet from her house so I figured it was possible.  She described the bees to me; yellowish with black stripes.  You can probably guess where this story is going…

She said she looked up honey bees on the web and was sure her bees were honey bees and wanted to know the options for getting them out.  Being the good neighbor that I am, I rode my bicycle down there later in the evening to take a look (normally bike down the road anyways).

Didn’t take more than 2 seconds to see they were yellow jackets and not honey bees.  I said, no thanks, I don’t want them!  It is a little surprising that many people can't tell a honey bee from a yellow jacket.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 04:26:08 pm »
A small hand sprayer and sudsy water will make quick work of yellow jackets without harming the bees.

Offline landellapiaries

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:35:01 pm »
I though the exact same thing when I walked into my workshop one afternoon after harvesting...then I realized my wife left the back door open...
Kris - Ulster County, NY