Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My rock pile  (Read 5605 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
My rock pile
« on: October 19, 2007, 12:45:47 pm »
Well, we are all a strange breed, and especially me.  I have a fascination with rocks, I like to gather rocks, pile rocks, and I have been piling rocks for over two years now (actually coming onto three years).  My rock pile keeps getting bigger and bigger, slowly and surely.  I have been gathering rocks since the time that I began to get the apiary and surrounding acres ready for the bees.

Some of you (our older members, older meaning ones that have been on our forum for some time) will perhaps remember my first picture of my rock pile (and all the funny comments that came with it).  You know who you are, hee, hee, hee  :)  Lots of talk about boulders, and someone who lives in Boulder, Colorado  :).

Theres rocks range in size from thousands and thousands of tiny little marble sized ones, up to ones so big that it takes two people to push them to my rock pile.  Get a load of the rock pile now!!!  I have posted a picture of how the rock pile originally looked like and how it looks like very recently.  If you enjoy rock pickin', enjoy the pictures, if you think I am nuts, too bad.  Look anyways!!!!!

Have a wonderful and beautiful day in this great ol' world we share.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: My rock pile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 02:21:57 pm »
Rock on!

Seriously, are you saving them for something, or do you just enjoy collecting rocks? :)

Have you identified the different "species" of rocks there?

Rick
Rick

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 03:00:13 pm »
I'm thinking you need a geyser of water spraying 20 feet into the air right in the middle!

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 08:06:56 pm »
FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN ,, TO BUY A ROCK IS LIKE BUYING A TREE ,,, WHEN YOU DRIVE PAST AND SEE THAT A BIG ROCK APEARS OUT OF NO WERE ,,  STOP AND ASK HOW MUCH IT COST ... YOUR JAW WILL DROP , THEY PAY BIG BUCKS FOR DEM DER ROCKS...
THE KID

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 10:41:09 pm »
Not around they they don't! 

Aw, Cindi, if I'd piled all the rocks up that had been pulled out of the ground on this little .6 acres the pile would be almost as high as my house!  Seriously.  The glaciers were very kind to us around here.  I'll have to go out into the backyard tomorrow and take a picture of the two beauties I uncovered in the middle of the new part of my veggie garden.  I'll never be able to move them.  If they were only a foot deeper  :roll:

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 11:04:13 pm »
Cindi,

When you are mad at the kids and want to punish them you can tell them they have to move the rock pile 20 feet over.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 11:33:22 pm »
Yeah Brendhan, and while they are moving the pile, Cindi has to try and eat 50 hardboiled eggs!

Cindi, to all the rocks you've piled before and there will no doubt be many more, you've dug them from the ground and made a very large mound, when you're not there, do they make a sound?
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 11:35:04 pm »
...And Cindi, I'm very glad that its not a huge pile of scaly chicken feet!

:-D

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 10:38:27 am »
Ann, I would love to see the picture of the rocks that you have in your yard, I hope that you get a chance to get out a take some snaps.  You are lucky to have beautiful, big rocks.

Rick, these rocks started out as a tiny little pile because when I began land clearing to make the gardens for the apiary, I just kept throwing them out of my way, and it seemed that I am such a good pitch that they all landed pretty much in the same spot.  Then I kept digging out big ones, and I would heft them to that spot, I just didn't know what to do with the rocks, so I piled them.  It has now become an obsession (I am obsessive, but not OCD, thank goodness).  Many people think and ask if I have humans buried beneath, I smile.

My Brother-in-Law made me a big white cross last summer and he put it on the top of the rock pile, now that made for a lot of good laughs.

This rock pile is probably only about 1/10 of what I have actually gathered.  All the rest I speak about have made beautiful rockeries in spots around my acreage.  Great for making raised beds.  My Sister and I carry rocks all over the place making new spots for gardens, it is fun and yes, I think we both are obsessive about the rocks.

Rick, I cannot identify the rocks because I am not that interested in it.  But I have some beauties, the special and more beautiful rocks I made particular little rockeries out of, so the rock is the same. I will take a picture later on today if I get a chance of a particular type of rock that I really love, and any I find of these I keep adding to this special rockery.  This particular rusty coloured rock is not very common, that is why I keep them all in one spot.

Brendon, now that is a good idea, torture the kids!!!!!

JP, come on, we don't have that many chickens, yet  :) ;) :roll:......Have a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 10:51:17 am »
Cindi, I had a rock collection until I was around 10 yrs old. Would you believe it was stolen. We were living in an apartment complex at the time and had been robbed and they stole my rock collection!

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 12:34:05 pm »
Looks like the third little pig's house didn't stand up to well either.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 12:39:57 pm »
JP, unbelievable.  Were the rocks polished?  Maybe it was a raven.....Have a wonderful and beautiful day in this great ol' life.  Cindi

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 12:44:33 pm »
Looks like the third little pig's house didn't stand up to well either.

LMAO!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 09:25:09 pm »
Cindi, my rock collection did get stolen. I know I cherished those rocks, No they weren't polished. The rocks could have been stolen by a raven, but I'll never know for sure. The F.B.I. is still working on the case, no leads though in over 30 yrs.  :'(

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 12:36:21 am »
JP, looking through the eyes of a child, I can bet that it made you must have, at that time, had a horrible mistrust of the human kind.  There is nothing, honestly, worse in my mind, than having something stolen from you.  Your rock collection no doubt meant alot to a little boy.  That is a sad thing.

Having been foster parents for over 20 years, we have had many things stolen.  Of course we learned through many mishaps to get tougher and tougher with security, we are now 100% safe with anything that may have any meaning or monetary to us/or others.  I have lost things that meant so much to me.  These treasures are locked up, within the confines of our bedroom.  Anything else in our home that is not locked up, would be of no use for any person to have monetary gain.  We have learned some very valuable lessons, narry a one that I would say that has not brought us to be better people.  That may be a strange statement -- that only I may understand, but that is OK.

I can go into your mind at the young age that you were when your rock collection went amiss, and I can bet that you were a very confused and hurt little man.  Have a wonderful day, love our life we're livin'.  Cindi

This is actually a funny spin onto this.  We once has a very angry little dude, who (I found out later on by other foster children), that when he got mad at me, he would take my little white sneakers (and I had many pairs) and throw one into the ravine, long to be lost in the depths of the muck and mud.  Little did he know, that I didn't even know that he did this deed,  hmmm....guess I got one up on him eh?   :) :) :) ;) :)  C

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 02:11:52 am »
Cindi, what do you mean " were a very confused and hurt little man. "

still am. :-D

Hey can you enter my mind now?

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 02:33:32 am »
Hi Cindi! My father in law takes alive stones from the beach with his grandchildren, and I have now a little riot, because they want to be at beemaster.com with your rocks.

Well, here is the leader:

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 07:38:23 am »
Rockpiles,fences......
Are you sure you're not on the inside looking out?                  ;)