Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Specialized+bees+central+heating  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
Specialized+bees+central+heating
« on: March 21, 2010, 03:51:56 am »
Found this article, I don't have the expert knowledge to comment on it.
Is this bad science or just leaping to wrong conclusion :??  Or is it correct??
 http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Specialized+bees+central+heating+unit+hive/2683374/story.html

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Specialized+bees+central+heating
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 02:14:47 pm »
 I have read this now a few times, it was in his(jurgen tautz) book too and it makes sense considering how intelligent the colony is on a whole, everything they do has a purpose.
He uses microchips to track everything bees do since birth.
He claims that is the reason why a good queen will leave a few empty cells in the brood pattern and should not to be confused with spotty brood which is usually more significant.
I don't doubt anything the bees do.

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 04:09:43 pm »
Thanks Natalie for that lead (Jurgen Tautz). Quickly checked some of his work on Temperature influence on intelligence of bees, Veary interresting. What I get out of his work is that 36 degree is best for smart bees. Maybe an incubator is a good aid?

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:35:59 am »
I've read this and it makes alot of sense. In times in spring, I'll see spotty brood pattern, but as weather warms more consistantly, the brood pattern tightens up and looks good.

When I see dead outs with bees butts showing with heads in cells, but some honey right next to them, I look closer and sometimes it seems as if the cluster was not large enough to keep warm, not that they starved. I'm coming to the conclusion that just because bees heads are in cells is not automatically a die out from starvation. More information can be gleaned from further observations. How large of pattern was the cluster that died and how many frames did they cover and how close or far from stores were they and what was recent weather patterns.