Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beemaster Membership  (Read 5895 times)

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Beemaster Membership
« on: February 01, 2005, 09:43:41 pm »
I was bored today and did a little statistical analysis of Beemaster.com membership.  

This is a chart of the total membership and new members on a monthly basis.

February is the 1 year anniversary and the forum has almost 400 members.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 11:41:08 pm »
Cool graph. I wonder if that rise we're on right now will keep going up, or start to go down for awhile. If you look at the pattern, it's higher right now than at other times, so you would almost think we're about to have the level of new members go down for a bit.

Will you keep track of that each month? If it wasn't too hard. I would be interested in seeing updates like that on occation - at the least every 6 months.

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 11:45:18 pm »
A graph to show are new members every month should be a bell graph. So fare it is working great but the problem is we dont have enough info yet to predict how many members we will get in the next bell. Well, we might, but it may be off a bit, lol, I will shut up, lol, bye and the chart is great
Ryan Horn

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 11:58:57 pm »
Now I wonder if John has a way of finding out how many active members there are (that post) how many just lurk, and how many have not visited in a long time.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 12:02:36 am »
He does Jerry, it is all in the admin. page. It is cool to. You can see when peeps are posting and where they are too. I would say as a guess that we have an average of 2 people join a day. I will do the math later, to tired, night
Ryan Horn

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 07:35:07 am »
I've signed up a couple of times in recent months - got deleted for not posting, I guess.  I'm new to beekeeping and will be starting my first hive this spring.  I'm one of the "lurkers" who visit often but don't post - just trying to learn as much as possible.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 07:41:55 am »
I didn't think one got kicked or deleted for not posting. Now there was a loss of data awhile back. If you fell with in the range of when that was (as when you joined) then that data was lost. I noticed someone on here yesterday and checked the persons profile. That member had been here since April of last year and showed that he/she had never posted.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 07:58:30 am »
Cool graph!  I think the new members per month graph was quite interresting as it shows when people start thinking about their hives or getting a hive, and start looking for information about beekeeping on the internet.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 09:04:00 am »
Indy:

I'm the only one who can DELETE members and NO ONE is ever deleted unless they just create a membership to post their BUSINESS WEBSITE - and most of those are SPAMMED by software, not created by a real person - we've had a bunch of adult related sites over the last year that I've tossed.

But if you SORT members by NUMBER of posts, you will see that 53% of all members NEVER post a single post - that is just how it is in forums. So going by your math, we should have about 180 members - and it just isn't so.

So, you weren't deleted because of inactivity - nor any other reason that I know of, and I'm the guy with my finger on the button.

Beemaster isn't an UNMODERATED forum, we have mods and an Admin guy (me) who are here very often - so whether you forgot a password, or if your username was spelled different and you couldn't log in or as Jerrymac said got lost when we had a software crash and had to reboot from an older saved file, I don't know. But neither do the software or me boot anyone for inactivity, it just doesn't happen like that.

PS... Great chart Leominster, neat seeing the membership growth relative to month vs overall - thanks for that :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 09:45:41 am »
By the way indy, welcome to the forum!! This is a great way to learn about beekeeping! The folks here are very friendly, and we all usually have a great time around here. I would also recommend that you join a local bee club in your area, there's just nothing like talking face to face with someone about a problem you're having.You might even be able to find a mentor who is willing to come over and "have a look" to make sure everythings ok. The other thing about bee clubs is, many times you can get things at a discounted rate for bulk buying. Like subscriptions to magazines, bee packages, medication etc. See if you can take a bee class in your area too, that's another way to gather a lot of good info! Welcome and good luck in the spring! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 08:03:24 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, Jay.  Yep, I've taken a class - just last weekend -
http://www.indianabeekeepingschool.com/  The class tuition includes 1 year membership in the Indiana State Beekeeping Assoc (not to be confused with the Indiana Beekeeping Assoc  :lol: I'm guessing that in the
past they split up because of some argument over requeening techniques or some such nonsense. I better keep quiet about who I voted for in the last election or they'll likely tell me I belong in the other group!) I'll be getting a nuc in the spring and have a 2-deep hive with shallow super to begin with.  I'm looking forward to an exciting year.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 08:11:08 pm »
I'm busily searching to see which stock market or individual stock most closely tracked the monthly membership sign-up graph. I have a feeling that you will see a HUGE relationship between many non-relative data!!!

Should be interesting, I can't wait to see the second year data and how it relates to the first. Again, good charting.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 09:16:22 pm »
John -
I think I remember you saying something when we had that crash about loosing members. I believe you had said we lost several people that had joined up because you had to go back to an old back-up file. And of course we lost lots of posts people had made too.

Only thing John ever deleted for "inactivity" was some posts. (Sorry John, I know you can't forgive yourself on that, but just had to mention it.) :)

He realized his mistake and promises to not do that again. LOL

Beth

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 11:54:49 pm »
indypartridge

Welcome and do us one favor. KEEP COMING BACK!
And let John know what is happeniong when you get deleted, there may be a stoopid little bug that is causing this. We cherish all our members
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Beemaster Membership
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 09:54:47 am »
Quote from: indypartridge
I'll be getting a nuc in the spring and have a 2-deep hive with shallow super to begin with.  I'm looking forward to an exciting year.

You may, at some point, want to pick up a couple of extra supers along the way. Although, with a package of bees you do not always get surplus honey in the first year, you are going to be ahead of the game with your nuc. You're going to have some drawn comb, brood in all stages of development, honey and pollen in that nuc. In short a mini hive with a laying queen. This is a huge head start over a package, so the chances that you'll have excess honey to extract are quite good ( especially if there is are good seasonal conditions, nectar, pollen etc. of course who knows how that'll go from one year to the next!! ). Expect the best, prepare for the worst! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

anything