Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The water logged dancing swarm  (Read 1952 times)

Offline To Bee Or Not To Bee

• New Bee
The water logged dancing swarm
« on: May 01, 2006, 12:39:31 am »
This morning I got a call for a swarm that was hanging in a tree for two or three days.  We have been getting alot of rain these few days and when I caught the swarm they did not moving very much at all.  I thought they  were half drowned.  I kept them in a cardboard box for an hour in the sun till they started to move around and act like bees a bit more.  Thy went in to the nuc real easy but I saw something different. One bee was doing the waggle dance and then another then 4 or 5 doing the dance on the front entry board .  What was going on?  Were they telling the other bees about the new real estate was or were they just danceing for joy?
John

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 12:46:34 am »
They are debating how many times they should sting you.:wink:

Actually I would be intrigued by the answer to this.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 01:23:10 am »
I have seen a swarm on the side of a house that was being built. The outside wall was just OSB board at this time. There were several waggle dances going on. I wondered if they were discussing a new home location.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 06:32:45 am »
they might have been making fun of the silly ways people build.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 09:17:52 am »
Even a swarm has to eat.  So it might be they are informing others of a nectar source.  It's also possible they are still looking for a home, since the scouts for a swarm do the waggle dance for that also.  Normally the waggle is done on drawn comb, but of course, there isn't any yet.  I would think they'd do it on the foundation though.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin