Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bitter honey from cutouts?  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Bitter honey from cutouts?
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:05:43 pm »
This is a question for all the Pro cutout folks.

I've heard rumors that honey extracted from brood comb can give honey an off flavor.  Especially crush and strain.

Given how cutout honey almost always must be crushed and strained and it is often coming from brood comb I think this group could answer the question with authority.

Does black comb impart off flavor?
Is that flavor bitter?  Is it because of pollen or in addition to pollen?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bitter honey from cutouts?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 04:16:34 pm »
i haven't had a problem with it.  as i do a cutout i have separate containers for the honey comb and the brood/junk comb.  if the hive has been in there awhile, the comb is very dark. 

when i go to do the crush and strain, i pick through and try to get the dead bees and other bits out before i crush it, but i know i don't get it all.

protein.   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 04:24:16 pm »
I never trust honey from a cutout.  I never know how many times someone sprayed it with insecticide.  Sometimes if you get some brood in the crush and strain, it will make it bitter.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 04:46:46 pm »
For the most part, I agree with M.B. Particularly when it comes to old dark comb, there is history there, some of it you may not ever be familiar with.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 06:01:38 pm »
Good brood comb is tied in frames
 New comb with clear honey is saved for my own use.
All other is put out for the bees to clean.
I normally only get 3 to 4 frames of brood and 2 to 3 quarts of honey from a large cut out. The bees clean the majority.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 10:35:10 pm »
If I read between the lines here. You all are telling me that I should take the cutout honeycomb to my outyard and let my bees clean it.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 10:54:37 pm »
it's up to you.  if it tastes good and looks good, i keep it.  if it's questionable, i give it to the bees.  all the junk comb i put on a tarp and let the bees have at it.  there's usually plenty of mess for them.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything