Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Looking for uncapping tub.  (Read 4196 times)

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
Looking for uncapping tub.
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:20:02 am »
I have been looking for a uncapping tub, and if you have a recommendation I would love to here your thoughts.

I found this King Honey Equipment - Uncapping Tub with Stainless Steel Rack online at http://www.kinghoney.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=UT100&gclid=CNaQ6ejoqLICFUdvTAodBW0AyQ.

From the picture it looks like a good design but maybe a bit flemsey <sp>. Does anyone have one or seen one to give an opinion it?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: Looking for uncapping tub.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:10:29 am »
I'm just a hobby beek and kinda cheap, so I just use a clean dish tub w/ a piece of 1x4 placed over it with a small finish nail set in the middle to hold frames while uncapping.  It's been working fine for me for years.....and its cheap  :-D 

My bees do a great job cleaning up for me.

I typically keep between 2 and 10 colonies (all I have room for unless I build another yard), so size of apiary is worth considering when making these decisions.  I'd think that If you're dealing w/ more than fifty frames of honey then one of the 'fancy' capping tubs sold by the 'bee stuff merchants' would likely be a better choice (or you could just fabricate something similar if so inclined and able).  Choices, always with the choices  :)

t
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:16:49 am »
if you are just doing backyard beekeeping, i got the (at the time) 99 dollar double tank from mann lake.  it is a nice design and works well.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 11:37:38 am »
It really comes down to expected volume. Try for one that will hold two rounds worth of uncapped frames (i.e. if you have a 20 frame extractor shoot for a tub that will hold 40). That way you don't need to feel stressed to uncap another round every time the extractor is working.
I've got an old (60 yrs or better) 6' S.S. tub from Kelly's.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:30:52 pm »
Here is where I am at. I currently have three hives with 6 honey supers full, I have about decided to get a motorized radial extractor my first year. I don't have a lot of funds to get much more equipment this year if I go this way. My plan is to work up to about 30-40 hives within the next 5 years. So spending the money up front for a radial extractor financial makes the most since to me.

I want to be careful not to spend any unnecessary funds for equipment that won't be useful within the next year or two. I have fallen into that trap before by trying to save a few dollars. I have talked to a couple of local beeks that don't have an extractor and are willing to pay to have their honey extracted. It won't offset the cost by much but every bit helps.

Maybe I need to follow T Beek's suggestion and build something inexpensive this year and look for something larger next year. I may have a bit more wasted honey and work, but this option would allow me to get through this year.

This "hobby" has now turned into an obsession. I guess I will have to save for some therapy also!   :-D

Ron
Ron Babcock

~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 10:14:40 pm »
if you can attach a board across a deep rubbermaid tub, you can probably make your own.  put a nail sticking up in the board to hold the frame steady as you uncap it. 
you can figure out how you want to strain the cappings later.  maybe a paint strainer over a 5 gallon bucket or something along those lines.  see if you can take a look at some in the catalog pics.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/page92.html

the plastic tank is the one i have and it's been quite adequate for my few hives.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 07:10:03 am »
if you can attach a board across a deep rubbermaid tub, you can probably make your own.  put a nail sticking up in the board to hold the frame steady as you uncap it. 
This is basically what I have, only I bought two tubs that nest. They are shallow storage tubs that one would normally use to slide under a bed.  I drilled a bunch of holes in the upper one, so that the honey will drain from the cappings into the lower one.

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 09:58:02 pm »
As I'm sure you can all appreciate getting started is the easy part, keeping on the right path and making sound decisions can at times seem a bit daunting. Staying within our personal means is tough at any level from being a hobbyist to a pro, and making the best decisions possible from the beginning is key to the success of anyone starting a new endeavor.

That being said and if I purchase a good extractor now, I think if I can tough it out this year with a make shift uncapping tub I will be $$ ahead, and will go into next year more fiscally sound. Kathy I looked hard at the Mann Lake tubs, but I feel that if I can get by this year not spending much maybe I can find a tank like Scott did or save for a better tub. Mann Lake gets plenty of my $$ as it is. The process this year will give me a better understanding of how the workflow could be improved.

You have all been here where I am as a new beekeeper, so your insight is invaluable. indypartridge I'm thinking you have may be what I am looking for. The cost is low and it would get me by for now.

Anyway I need to make a decision soon so if I decide to, I can get a extractor purchased and delivered here before to long, as I probably should of had the honey supers off by now from what I gather from reading everything I have on here.
Ron Babcock

~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline oliver

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 10:51:27 am »
We use a food grade tote, with a frame elevated off the bottom, covered with a queen excluder.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 11:39:45 am »
i use a pvc utility sink. $25.00 online from lowes. in the stores they run $35.00-$100.00. yiu can put a bucket under the drain. i put a mesh type paint filter over the bucket

Offline hooyaman

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 02:05:46 pm »
This is just me, although I like saving money. I bought my uncaping tub at wal-mart. Its a 58 q t.  It works really well. If you want to make money at beekeeping, start making your equipment. You will find that it works just as well and don't cost nearly as much money.