Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will my new bees leave?  (Read 12810 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Re: Will my new bees leave?
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 11:26:46 am »
The bees that I am buying are pricey.  I hope in this case one gets what they pay for. It seems from what I have read these people are very conscientious about their bees.  Another plus for me, they are closer than any other seller.  I am very excited.  I also hope these bees are gentle...please please please....

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 05:46:07 pm »
Most all of the commercial bee package suppliers are selling in the $70-80 dollar range this year.  I fully expect a price of $100.00 for a package by 2012 with a 5 frame nuc more in the $180-200 range with frame exchange. 
I will be starting to sell a very limited amount of over wintered nucs next year.  By very limited I mean 4-6 as my beeyard is small.  They will also be available in only medium frames.  I'm planning on changing $150.00 for each over wintered nuc with frame exchange. They will be on foundationless combs, bottomless, and natrual as they can get in a Langstroth hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 08:18:32 pm »

The bees that I am buying are pricey.  I hope in this case one gets what they pay for. It seems from what I have read these people are very conscientious about their bees.  Another plus for me, they are closer than any other seller.  I am very excited.  I also hope these bees are gentle...please please please....
      You will get a package of bees that are the same progeny of the queen -in other words others sell off there bulk bees out of almonds and those are Italians or any bodys guess -and they supply them with a queen of your choice -so you have to run the gamete of multiple brood cycles to have a colony that is the same progeny as the queen -in your case russian yugo cross -most times bees of different races will supersede a russian queen -so in that case they have lost half there gene pool with the bees from the package not being from the same progeny as the queen -the bees from honey bee genetics are going to be pure in there line and are some of the most gentle bees you can buy -you are lucky to get them they are not just any old bee -your stocks of bees will be something other-than ordinary -it is only money look how much others are spending on things of no consequence with no bees yet -we all spend more than we want to on our bees -but in your case its MONEY WELL SPENT   8-)  RDY-B

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 10:26:01 pm »
Awesome Rdy. and I thank you for the tip!

Offline Barbara

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 12:10:46 pm »
I am getting a nuc in 5 medium frames with the queen and various stages of brood.  Do I need to add other things, like the lemon grass oil, to my hive to entice my bees to stick around? Or is this just if you're getting packages?

Barbara
Barbara

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 12:36:49 pm »
Hi Barbara,

I am still a newbee, but I think if you have a nuc, especially with brood in varying stages, you should have no worries of the bees taking off...

Just make sure you give them room, they can build up pretty darn fast!  I am sure you will get more sage advice here...

Sharon

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 12:49:21 pm »
A nuc is an established hive, just in a very small place They are not going anywhere. I believe you will just have to feed them sugar syrup when you transfer them into their new home.

I am a newbee also as this is just my third year with the bees. Good luck with it all. It is very challenging, but when things work out, it is the most awesome feeling.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 01:48:24 pm »
Annette,

Beekeeping is definitely not for people who give up easily eh???

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 08:39:43 pm »
You don't have to have lemongrass oil for packages.  But it's a little insurance if you happen to have some around.  Bees won't leave open brood.  Your nuc shouldn't be a problem at all.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin