Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drowning bees  (Read 1983 times)

Offline NewBeeMike

• Brood
    • Rustic Element Bees
Drowning bees
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:09:10 am »
I've been feeding the big swarm I caught and placed in a TBH ever since I caught them several weeks ago. They've been going through feed like it was beer at a frat party. All of a sudden, I get a massive pile of drowned bees in the feeder. See the last 2 entries in my blog for a pic (Jun 29 & 30).
Whatever you believe you can or cannot do, you're right.
Website | Blog

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
Re: Drowning bees
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:06:50 am »
What kind of feeder are you using
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 11:10:22 am »
anytime you use something deep or something they can get into, they will pile up and drown those on the bottom.  the screen came off my poultry feeder once and the next day the jar was 1/2 full of dead bees.   looks like you had a pile on in your feed dish.

use something shallow.  put rocks or something in so that bees can crawl out.  make sure it's big enough.  that dish doesn't look like it is.  you might try the poultry feeders.  you can put a lot in them and then not worry about them.  don't know if they'd fit in a TBH, but you can look at them in feed stores.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:01:49 am »
I use fresh pine straw in a feeder, long as I dont get skimpy on how much straw I never have drowned bees.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 06:58:33 am »
They do that sometimes. I kinda think they get pushed in. They live a while tho, I rescue em and stick em on a bush to dry out.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:54:23 am »
I've been feeding the big swarm I caught and placed in a TBH ever since I caught them several weeks ago. They've been going through feed like it was beer at a frat party. All of a sudden, I get a massive pile of drowned bees in the feeder. See the last 2 entries in my blog for a pic (Jun 29 & 30).

Yep, straw will help.........alot.

anything